Aw!: Part 4

Loki was loathe to part with Cuddles when the four days were up, but unfortunately they (more like Captain America) got a call from the kitten's owners, saying they were back in town and anxious to get their animal back.  Loki said he would handle the return of the kitten personally.  However, at that moment, Loki was looking out his bedroom window, and down over New York City.  'Meow!' Cuddles suddenly said and Loki looked down at it.  It licked its nose before it blinked at him. 

"I'll miss you too, but you served your purpose.  A reminder of something else that was taken from me without cause.  My spirit animal," Loki whispered to the kitten.  The cat yawned and gripped his shirt with its claws.  "Maybe I'll get another one, but none of them will compare to you: my first creation."  The kitten looked up at him and he touched his forehead to its.  That was when Loki was transported to that day.

Loki, only seven-years-old, was practicing life giving magic in the training yard.  It was empty and he had his books splayed out before him.  Cutting his finger with a knife, he let it dribble down onto a pentagram he had drawn.  Placing his hand down, Loki closed his eyes.  "I command you; from the blood of my blood, give me a spirit worthy of its master."  Loki felt some of his life force drain from him, and his vision swam before his eyes.  When it cleared, he found himself lying on his side.  He started to sit up, but he felt light headed.  Lying back down, that was when something brushed his ear.  Turning his head slightly, he saw a black furred, green eyed kitten studying him.  "What...?" Loki asked, before he heard hurried footsteps.  Glancing up, he saw Odin and Frigga looking down at him.

"Loki!  What have you done?" Odin asked, his voice showing how angry he was.  Loki opened and closed his mouth, about to answer, when Frigga saw the kitten, the pentagram, and the blood.

"You created a life from your own?" she queried, and Loki nodded his head.  Odin picked up the kitten, looking at it with a narrowed eye.  Frigga knelt beside her son and embraced him.  "That was dangerous for a child to do, but I'm proud of you," Frigga whispered to him.  Loki felt a warm glow take over.  She was proud of him!

When Loki opened his eyes and looked down, he saw that Cuddles had disappeared from his arms, back into the memory.  He put his hands in his pockets and looked back out the window.  Everything that had transpired the last few days, had been a ruse.  He had finagled everything, and the Avengers still believed that they were dealing with outside forces.  And Thor was ignorant to how much Cuddles looked exactly like Loki's old kitten.  He loved them, but they were all still simpletons.  It only took a second for the smirk to appear on his face.

The End