The Tale of Loki's Diminutive Day: Part 1

Loki sat on the edge of the lake reading the sacred scrolls of Svartalfheim.  He was sitting in the shade, keeping the sun off his pale skin.  He was supposed to be swimming with Thor (part of their summer exercises), but he was too busy learning the shadowy magic of the Dark Elves.  At eleven, he was fluent with languages, and all symbols.  His hand floated across the page, twitching and lingering over difficult symbols.  Loki was enjoying himself, until he got splashed by water.  He threw the scrolls away and stood up.  He glanced down at the paper and saw the damage that had been done to the page.  “Thor, you idiot!  That is a priceless artifact from the Dark Elves Golden Age!  You just blotted out several characters!” Loki snapped as he turned back to Thor.  Thor appeared and brushed a strand of wet, blond hair from his face.

“You’re supposed to be swimming with me,” Thor pointed out.

“Since when have you been keen on following rules?” Loki queried as he rolled the scroll up and put it in his pack.  Thor cocked his head to one side and agreed.  Loki nodded and then twirled his hand, causing a tidal wave to wash Thor away.  Thor disappeared while Loki gathered his things.  He stomped off towards the palace, kicking sticks and stones with his bare feet.  He was just coming from around a large oak tree, when he ran into someone.  “Oof!  Hey, watch where you’re going!” he snapped.  He soon realized that he was looking into the face of Verdandi, the oldest of the Norn Sisters, the Goddesses of Fate.  They were spending the summer with them, so Thor and Loki had to entertain them.  “Verdandi, I’m sorry, but I’m not swimming this afternoon,” Loki said as he walked around her.

“Why not?  You said you would join us,” Verdandi reminded him gently.  She was a pretty girl with blond hair, just like her sisters.  She reached her hand out towards Loki’s cheek, but he brushed her hand away.  Verdandi got a hurt expression on her face, but it did not move Loki.

“I’m not interested in swimming.  The oaf is still back there, why don’t you swim with him?” Loki asked as he walked away.  Verdandi watched him as he got further and further away.

She raised her hand and muttered an enchantment, “He refused my bait.  He who closets himself away, rue the day, he angered a Daughter of Fate!”  Loki did not notice anything at first, but as he approached the palace, he noticed that it looked bigger.  That was odd.  Finally, when he reached the lowest step leading to a side door of the palace, he was staring up at it.  Loki gasped and then turned to see that he was no taller than a blade of grass.  He had been transformed into the smallest person in all of Asgard!  How was he going to get out of this?!

End of Part 1