NR - Civil War Pt. 2

-Vienna-

Natasha:
"Excuse me, Miss Romanoff." I turn to see a UN staffer.

"Yes?"

"These need your signature." I sign the papers. "Thank you."

"Thanks."

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight." A new voice makes me turn my head.

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering," I smile at T'Challa.

"You seem to be doing alright so far. Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill... I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company."

"Well, I'm not."

"That alone makes me glad you're here, Miss Romanoff."

"Why? You don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano." I turn to see the king of Wakanda now standing next to me with a sweet smile.

"Father," T'Challa greets him.

"Son. Miss Romanoff."

"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria," I apologize genuinely.

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I."

"If everyone could please be seated. This assembly is now in session," a man on the speakers instructs us.

I take my rightful seat and King T'Chaka stands at the front to begin his speech.

"When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative. Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

Suddenly, T'Challa looks outside then whips around. "EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" He screams, jumping towards his father as a deafening explosion blasts.

I instinctively duck and cover anyone near me as well as protect myself. The blast devastates the building, leaving the floor in dust and rubble.

-

"I'm very sorry," I apologize to T'Challa about his father's death.

He briefly glances at me sitting on the bench next to his. He toys with a silver ring in his fingers, his father's ring.

"In my culture death is not the end. It's more of a... stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where... you can run forever."

"That sounds very peaceful."

"My father thought so." He puts the ring on his finger. "I am not my father."

"T'Challa. Taskforce will decide who brings in Barnes," I try, not wanting this situation to get worse.

He clenches his fists. "Don't bother, Miss Romanoff. I'll kill him myself." He abruptly walks away.

Suddenly, my phone starts buzzing. I see my girlfriend's name on the screen so I pick it up.

"Yeah?" I ask into it.