NR - The Avengers Pt. 1

Nick Fury:
The second my feet are on the ground, I'm approached.

"How bad is it?" I ask the agent.

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know," Agent Coulson responds.

Coulson leads Maria Hill and me into the radiation section of the facility. Hundreds of technicians and other staff members frantically run around, only taking the essentials. The facility is being evacuated.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the tesseract four hours ago," Coulson mentions.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase," I refute.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement."

"It just turned itself on?" Hill asks.

"What are the energy levels now?" I ask right after.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac," Coulson explains.

"How long to get everyone out?" I ask.

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour," Coulson tells me.

"Do better," I order.

We continue into the vacuum chamber. There, we're met by Dr. Selvig himself standing with the Tesseract that's being held by a compact muon solenoid coil chamber.

"Talk to me doctor," I instruct.

"Director," he greets me, concerned.

"Is there anything we know for certain?"

"Tesseract is misbehaving."

"Is that supposed to be funny?"

"No, it's not funny at all. The tesseract is not only active, she's... misbehaving."

"How soon until you pull the plug?"

"She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level..."

"We've prepared for this, doctor. Harnessing energy from space," I try.

"We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation."

"That can be harmful," I refute. "Where's Barton?"

"The Hawk? Up in his nest, as usual."

"Agent Barton, report," I instruct.

Seconds later, Agent Barton appears next to me.

"I gave you this detail so you could keep a close eye on things," I greet him.

"Well, I see better from a distance."

"Are you seeing anything that might set this thing off?"

"Doctor, it's spiking again," a NASA scientist says to Dr. Selvig.

"No one's come or gone. Its oven is clean. No contacts, no I.M.'s. If there was any tampering, sir, it wasn't at this end," Barton explains to me.

"At this end?"

"Yeah, the cube is a doorway to the other end of space, right? The doors open from both sides."

All of a sudden, the Tesseract thunders and shakes the whole building. There's a bit of a light show from it, I'm not exactly sure what's happening. When the light show ends, there's a man. He holds a sharp spear and wears a green suit-like armor.

"Sir, please put down the spear!" I call to him.

Without saying anything, the man points his spear at me and shoots a blast of blue. Luckily, Agent Barton tackles me and we both barely miss the blast. All hell breaks loose from this. Machine guns fire at the man but the bullets bounce off of him. The man just leaps up and attacks the men who were shooting at him. As the man is busy fighting my S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel, I go for the Tesseract, placing it back into its case and trying to leave the lab.