NR - She left. Pt. 2

Prompt reminder: Write a story about a character who's trying to fill an empty space, literally or metaphorically.
———————————————————————
3rd Person:
Five months had gone by since the breakup. Callie felt happier than ever. Although she missed her ex, she knows she's better off. She knew eventually she would move on. And she did. Tony had dragged Callie out of her apartment most days. Instead of going to the compound, Tony would bring his friend to the S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters in Washington, D.C. At first, Callie was reluctant. However, she quickly found joy in Washington, D.C. She found happiness in the form of a woman. A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent with dark hair and beautiful blue eyes who goes by the name of Maria Hill.

Maria treated Callie like a queen. She would make time in her busy schedule to see Callie and Callie loved it. They weren't officially dating... yet. Their feelings for each other were strong but being still so close to when Natasha broke up with Callie, Callie didn't feel ready to jump into a relationship. Maria respected that. On occasion, Callie would bring Maria her favorite coffee while she worked since she didn't always have time. It was the little things in their slow-growing relationship that meant the most.

The two women shared their first kiss under the mistletoe that Callie hung up during the Christmas season. Of course, Callie did buy real mistletoe. At least her house wasn't completely trashed with plants and other miscellaneous items. Her apartment had an order that it didn't have when Callie was grieving over Natasha.

It was the night of New Year's Eve that Maria had asked Callie to be her girlfriend. She liked the idea that on December 31, they could celebrate both the new year and a milestone of their relationship. Maria was thoughtful like that. Callie started spending more time than ever at the S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters and at the Avenger's compound.

-

It was no special occasion. Maria and Callie just wanted to go out on a romantic date because they hadn't had much time to do those things. Maria's work got hectic. To prepare, Callie wore her classy white suit and picked up her girlfriend just in time.

"Can we stop at the compound? I have one last errand to run," Maria asked.

Callie happily obliged. She and Maria entered the compound together, hand in hand, Maria wearing her stunning black dress. As they walked through the building, Callie caught the eye of the one person she didn't want to see: Natasha Romanoff.

Natasha watched the couple walk past her. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of her ex wearing a handsome white suit. The white suit that Callie had worn for their one-year anniversary date. A pang of sadness and pain shot through Natasha's chest. She looked amazing. Natasha had to remind herself over and over again that she was the one to break up with Callie. She resisted the urge and want to run up and wrap her arms around Callie's neck. To kiss the lips that were once hers to kiss.

Natasha initiated eye contact with Callie and smiled, getting no smile in return. Why didn't she smile? Callie soon left the compound with Maria. Natasha found herself reminiscing about all the good times she shared with Callie.

-

Callie's hands were sweating. Every time she'd wipe the sweat away on her pants, it would come back instantly. Tonight she was planning to ask Maria to move in with her. Although she knew the answer would be yes, Callie still found her heart beating out of her chest. She had planned out a whole speech but when the time came to ask Maria, the words logged in Callie's throat.

"Thank you for dinner, it was amazing," Maria said.

"My pleasure." Callie paused. "I wanted to..."

"You wanted to what?" Maria laughed.