Chapter 15 - Proposition

WHEN you walk into the dining room you were welcomed by a beautiful spread. The placemats were back down, and the plates and silverware were back in place again. But this time the napkins were folded up into a swan. The flowers had been replaced with fresh ones, and there were candles burning from two brass candlesticks that sat next to the flowers.

The salad was out as well as the butter dish. But this time the bread looked like fresh rolls right out of the oven. Plus the dressing looked like it was a homemade Red Wine vinaigrette. The featured dish was one of your favorites, lasagna. But this one looked a lot fancier than what your mom would make you. This one was garnished with fresh veggies.

"I don't think that I have ever seen lasagna like this before." You said as you looked at the plate that was sitting on the place at your usual seat.

"What's it called?" You asked as he pulled out your seat for you.

Ignis smiled as he helped you push in your chair. "This dish is known as lasagna al forno. I hope that you like it."

You looked at the dish and noticed that zucchini, squash, and asparagus had been lightly fried before it was place on top

You looked back up and watched as Ignis walked around and started serving up the salad. "Aren't you going to sit and eat to?" You asked as you watched him set down a salad for your dad.

"Give him a minute dear." Your mom said as she started serving the drinks.

"He's just helping to serve the food." You mom said with a smile.

That was when you noticed that your parents were also both busy serving out the food. You smiled to yourself.

Well of course they are all serving food. For a minute there you had forgotten that your parents were even in the room.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" You asked as you watched them all finishing their tasks.

"You just relax tonight honey." Your dad said as he placed a roll on your plate.

You smiled back at him and just watched as your parents and Ignis served the food. It reminded you of when you were little, and how you would watch as your parents and your brother would serve the food. You dropped your gaze as you remembered those days. Your eyes started to fill up with tears as you thought about it. It had been about two years now since he died, but the wounds were still fresh to you.

"Something wrong (y/n)?" Ignis asked as he set down your salad bowl.

You wiped your eyes with your hands then looked up.

"No I'm fine. My eyes are just a bit watery tonight." You said as you tried to brush it off.

Your parents both looked at each other and quietly smiled as they dropped their gaze. They knew the truth and were feeling the same. They had started to see Ignis as an extension of their late son. It had helped with some of the grieving for them. But when it came down to it, there wasn't anyone who could replace their son.