Chapter 40 - Winter Memories

You quietly sat down beside him as he took a seat for his final song for the night. He had a different look to him this time as he sat there and got situated to play. You had never seen this look from him before. But then again, you hadn't heard him even play this song until this very moment. He had been practicing this one privately while you had been in your other classes. You weren't quite sure why. But if his face was any indication, it had to be due to the intensity of the song that made it hard for him to relax with it.

You had no idea how right you were until his fingers started gliding across the keys once more. The song started out very slow and almost sad as he seemed to pour his heart into each and every note as it came from the piano. You could tell that this song meant a lot to him. For you could see it in the painful emotions on his face as his intensity increased as the song continued.

"Korn?" Mary asked as she carefully watched Ignis. "Who taught him this song? I don't remember going over this one before the concert."

"His mother did." Korn quietly responded. "She was a concert pianist and a beautiful soloist.  That is before she got really sick when he was five and passed away that same year."

You could almost feel his heart breaking as he played each note and chord. The emotion looked to be very raw coming from him as he continued to play by what looked to be shear will. Then he seemed to get angry as the song started to speed.  Then he seemed to get angrier as the song sped up greatly and got louder as he slightly pounded on the keys until it seemed that he might break something. Then after a quick slow down. The song sped up even faster and faster until he almost completely stop as it drastically slowed back down again.

"I haven't seen him play this in a long time." Korn said as he watched his nephew pour all of his emotions into the song.

Then Ignis sped up again and got even loud as he pounded the keys even harder and faster then before. You could feel the passion and emotion as his finger flew across the keys as he fought to keep himself under control as he played.  Only to quickly slow back down again. Only this time as he slowed down, he dropped his head as well as the song once again became very slow and sad. As he hit the last few keys you thought that you saw him slightly tremble as he fought to gain control again.

"When did she pass away?" Mary asked as a tear ran down her cheek.

"The night of the Winter Festival." Korn quietly said as he slightly squeezed her hand as he fought to control his own emotions.

"Tonight......?" Was the only thing she could say before her throat closed up with the emotions.

Ignis slowly looked up at the ceiling. You watched him as a single tear rolled from his eye. Then he took a deep breath as he quickly gained control again before you really register what had just happened. Then you heard nothing but the loud applause as the entire auditorium was on their feet for his solo. Praises and cheers were coming from all sides as Ignis sat there quietly. He looked back out at the audience as he dropped his hands. Then he slowly stood up and moved out from behind the piano as he turned to the crowd and bowed to them.

You sat there clapping with a huge smile on your face. Even though you weren't quite sure what he had been thinking as he played that. You could tell that that song was more than just a solo to him. The emotions were too intense to be just a song that he had learned. No there was something way more intimate behind it. You could feel it.

Ignis slowly stood back up as the choir director came out. She was still clapping for him as she came to stop right by him. She gestured towards him one more time and the applause increased again. Then they both turned to you and gestured towards you and the audience clapped again. You sat there in shock for a moment before you slowly stood up and did a quick bow.