Chapter 5 - Bittersweet Memories

YOU were almost in a daze as the scenery flew past as you tried to make head or tails of the images that had just flown through your head. Until you realized that you were getting ready to go through what looked to be a barricade. Then suddenly your senses were high as you sat up nervously and quickly looked around at the area as if something was going to jump out at any moment.

Ignis looked over at you and saw that you were about to jump out of your skin at the slightest movement. He slowly reached over and touched your hand that you had gripping the seat tightly as you tried to see around everything that you could as the car went through the enclosure. You quickly jerked your hand back and looked at him with fear for a moment before you realized that it was his hand.

"Your fine love." Ignis said as he tried to calm you back down. "This checkpoint is completely deserted. And has been for awhile now. The only thing here is the occasional loner sabertusk."

"Are you sure?" You asked nervously as you reached back over and grabbed his hand so that you could calm down as you looked around.

"I'm positive." He said with a smile as he slightly squeezed you hand.

He was glad to see that you fighter instinct was still just as sharp as ever. But then again if it wasn't, you wouldn't be sitting right next to him. Ignis interlaced his fingers with yours as he drove the car out of the enclosure. You quickly looked back to make sure that you hadn't missed anything. But much to your relief, Ignis had been right. There wasn't a soul around.

You turned back around and nervously sat back in the seat as you still held Ignis' hand as he steered the car around a slight bend that ran along a rock formation and row of buildings. You looked around at the houses and saw that most of them were completely destroyed, while others only had a few partial walls still standing. Your mind started racing as you remembered that they had told you that back in the day, people use to live in a large community outside of the city. That was until Niefelheim started attacking all of the areas as it was trying to attack Insomnia.

You dropped your head for a moment before you glanced back up and looked out as the road seemed to open up in front of you as the terrane flattened out. You looked around and saw that the area was mainly like a desert type of area since the trees seemed to disappear and all that was left was a few scattered bushes. You could even make out a few of the local sabertucks that Ignis had mentioned. You couldn't see them in great detail, but based on what you could see, they looked like large starving dogs with huge teeth sticking out of their mouth.

You slightly shuttered at the thought of one of those coming into a campsite. It was a good thing that the camping havens prevented them from entering. For each one was enchanted with a special magic that repealed all creatures except humans and chocobos. You couldn't remember who had set up the havens, whether is was the Oracle or the gods. But either way you were glad that they did. For that would be one major worry that you wouldn't have when you started your survival training next.

After a moment you noticed a strange shop coming up on your left as he sped along. The top part of the gas station looked like the top of a giant silver hammerhead shark. The nose of the would be shark, is what made up the cover for the gas pumps. There seemed to be a large garage to the right of the shop and small diner off to the left. Then you happen to notice the sign.