Chapter 90 - Districts

You took a deep breath and adjusted your swim cap. You didn't glance at the other swimmers this time. You already knew that you were up against some of the best swimmers that you had ever hit the water with. And they had already proven it by the speeds that had been set in the last couple of races.

Noctis and Prompto had both qualified on their 200-yard freestyle. But just barely. Where Ignis had had a fight on his hands as he made it with his 200-yard Individual medley. And now as you stood by the block once again. You were hoping to do the same.

"Swimmers make ready for the women's 200-yard Individual medley."

"Seems like a great day for a race." You heard familiar voice say from the lane to your right.

You did a quick glance over and saw a slight smile from the girl before she looked at her block again as she put on her goggles.

"You better give me challenge." You heard Gwen say from your other side as she put her on as well.

"You better do the same." You replied back as you slide your goggles over your eyes. "I wouldn't want to be at Regionals without you."

"Nor would I." Gwen replied as she reached down.

"Then you better bring it." The other girl replied. "Because I'm not about to lose to either of you today. Either of you"

You gave the girl to your right one last curious look before you focused back on the lane. "We shall see."

"Yes we will." She replied in a voice that suddenly became very familiar to you as she adjusted her goggles over her eyes.

"Swimmers on the blocks."

You made one last adjustment to your goggles then you climbed onto the starter block. Then you took your track start stance on top of the block. You took a deep breath as you got a good footing as you prepared to grab the edge.  Suddenly you heard the cheers from the teams.

"You got this Gwen!"

"Go for the win (y/n)!"

"Bring home the win Nicole."

Nicole? You thought out of shock.

"Swimmers take your mark."

Could it be? You thought with a smile as you bent over and grabbed the edge of the block. I won't disappoint in case it is.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK went the horn and set everyone flying off the block in near perfect prone dives as everyone shot off of the blocks for their start.

You don't really remember if there were any other swimmers in the water once you entered the cool water. Since the only two you were concerned with where on either side of you. And it seemed to show as stroke for stroke the three of you seemed to be in total sync with each other as you swim down the lanes. Even turn for turn the three of you were neck and neck.

It wasn't until you made your final turn that you saw any change in the three of you. For the minute that you hit the wall, you drastically increased your speed. This was followed by them doing the same. But shortly after reaching the halfway point, you saw Gwen start to fall back.

You did a quick glance to your left and saw that the other swimmer was still right with you though. You couldn't help but to smile to yourself as you pushed yourself even harder. If this was indeed Nicole, then you would give it your all. And it was that drive that pushed you faster as you flew to the wall. And with a touch of your fingers on the pressure plate, the race was done.

You quickly pulled off your goggles and turned around to look at the times. Your heart leaped as you saw your lane first, then the lane on your right, and then Gwen's lane. All three of you had qualified. You beamed as you climbed out of the water. Gwen smiled at you as she walked over after getting out herself.