Chapter 22 - Clash of Kings

******Episode Ardyn Spoiler Alert ******

Ok, so this should be the last chapter for this, but it is a major one. And I know how tempting it is to turn to the back of the book and read what happens in the end, but again, I don't want to ruin a great DLC. That being said, ensure that you have completed the episode before continuing. It usually only takes me about four hours to do. And that's with me falling asleep while playing really late at night. ;)

But either way, enjoy. :)

******************************************

"Alright, I think that's everyone on this side." Paul was saying to everyone as they stood outside of the van before climbing back in to head to the last section before returning to the citadel.

"Oh thank the gods." Jeremy said as he dropped his head. "I don't think that I can take anymore of this."

"You can and you will." Paul said as he rolled his sore shoulders.

He could tell that he was going to be feeling all of this for a few days at least.

"We won't be done until we have checked every section." Paul said as he groaned as he tried to relax his shoulders again.

"Well well well." Paul heard a voice say from behind him. "I didn't expect to see anyone still out here. I thought that Ifrit had scared everyone off."

Paul quickly turned around and saw a guard come walking up. Paul got a huge smile on his face when he saw that it was Mars Sapientia. He hadn't seen him since before he had left for Altissia. He had last seen him when he had come to Lynn's funeral since they had all attended the academy together.

"Mars!" Paul said as he went walking up to him. "They let your rat ass inside the cage for once." Paul joked with him.

"It appears as if even the strongest bars can't keep me out." Mars said as he kept walking forward at a slow pace. Then his grin turned into a sinister sneer.

Paul stopped as he froze in place to the sudden change in his friend. Something was off. But just as he realized that, it was too late. For right at that split second, Mars quickly jumped up into the air then slammed down onto the ground and sent a pulse wave out that blasted everyone off of their feet.

The wave was enough to knock Jeremy and the other two onto their backs as it pushed them backwards. Paul on the other hand wasn't hit quite so nicely. For due to the how close Paul had been, he was blasted way back once again. But this time, all of the air was knocked out of him as he was slammed into the side of the van.  Which caused a huge dent in the side of the van as it slid sideways from the impact.

Then as Paul slowly slid down the side of the van, Mars leaped into the air and onto each of the others separately. He seemed to dowse them in black magic which reduced them to ashes. All Paul remembered was hearing their very faint screams as their lives were taken right in front of him. As Paul slid down to the street.  He landed on his hands and knees as he weakly tried to stop himself from hitting the ground.

"Aww. Is this the best that Lucis has to offer?" Mars said in a voice that he had never heard before as he walked over to Paul. "I must say that I'm very disappointed."

Paul tried to get up but couldn't seem to move a muscle as Mars came walking up. All he could do was sit there panting as he tried to catch his breath.   All while Mars walked right up and stopped in front of him. Then he reached down and grabbed Paul by the throat. And with inhuman strength, Mars lifted Paul into the air and had him hanging by his throat about a foot off of the ground.

"Of course they do still have you, now don't they?" Mars asked in a slick voice. "How is it that your still alive? Are you immortal?"

"How about you let me go and we find out?" Paul growled out as he struggled with getting out of his grip as he had both hands on the one on his throat.