Chapter 44 - Personal Clashes

"Your very fortunate. It looks like the bullet just grazed you." Doc was telling Mary as she laid in Korn's bed as he sat on the edge right beside her. "And you should be fine once the wounds heal."

"Thank you doctor." She answered back with a smile. "But since when have you ever done house calls?"

Doc chuckled at her question. "Ever since the king brought me onboard."

"Really? And when was that?" She asked as she gave him a curious look.

"I would say right around the time he took over the throne." He said with a smile.

"Wow. Seriously?" She responded in surprise.

"Yeah. Seriously." Doc said as he half chuckled.

"But anyway. Enough about me. Let's get back to you. I want you to take it easy for a while. You don't have any kids to worry about for a couple weeks. So I don't want you to strain yourself. Understand?" Doc asked as he stood up.

"Yes. And thank you again." Mary said with a smile.

"Any time. Now you need your rest. And I need to get going. I still have a few other patients I have to see before I can head home for the night." He said as he grabbed his bag from Korn's dresser.

Then with a nod he turned towards Korn. And the two of them started for the door.

"Let me know if anything changes or if you have to take her in." Doc was saying to Korn as the two of them moved away from the bed. "But she should be fine now. Those stitches that I put in her will dissolve on their own and fall out when they are ready. In the meantime, don't let her lift up anything. We don't want her ripping them open."

"That's hard to avoid for teachers. So it's a good thing that she just started her Winter Break from work. Otherwise I might be worried." Korn said as he was walking Doc to the bedroom door.

"It is a good thing. But you be safe yourself. I don't think that shot was meant for her." Doc said to him in a more serious tone once they were out of the room. "And I don't believe this was some freak accident. I think it was meant for you. And you just happen to luck out that they are a bad shot."

"I wouldn't bring luck into the equation." Korn said as he paused before he opened up the outer door. "There aren't that many buildings near here that are as tall as this one. And the chances that someone knows where I live is limited to those who work at the citadel, or 'for' in your case. And no. I don't believe that this was an accident either. That we both agree upon."

"Most certainly. Well be careful. I don't want to see you in my morgue anytime soon." Doc said as he placed his hand on Korn's shoulder.

"Nor do I." Korn answered. "By the way. Thank you for trusting us to keep an eye on your son tonight. I hope that he enjoyed himself. He certainly seemed to. And he did look good on stage tonight."

"He did seem to have a good time up there didn't he." Doc said with a smile. "I just don't know about this Gwen girl. You have already had a rough time with her parents. And I really don't have time, nor the person desire to get mixed up with those two. There is a big difference between our beliefs. I believe in saving people through traditional medicine. With theirs, they turn them into something else. Something almost inhuman." Doc said as if in a daze.

"And that is why you were the best person to take Prompto in. You understand better then anyone what he went through. And where he came from." Korn said as he opened up the door to his suite.

"I'm glad you think so." Doc said as he walked out of the room and walked across the way as they headed to the stairs. "I just wish that I didn't work so much. I feel bad leaving him alone all the time. Sure I have my wife, Cherril. But with us both working at the hospital. We are gone most of the time. And especially since the attack."