Chapter 26 - New School, New Faces

"Thank you for your time Ms. Jones." Your dad was saying as they were wrapping up so that you could both start to head out of her office. "We really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help out with this."

"Anytime Mr. (l/n)." Ms. Jones said as she smiled broadly as she blushed at your dad. "And please let me know if you want to make any other changes."

"I will and thank you." Your dad grunted as he stood back up by using his crutches.

"Are you sure that you don't need any assistance getting to your car? We have a wheelchair that I could get so that I can help you. It would make it easier for you."

Paul smiled at her as he half laughed.

"Thanks for the thought. But I'll be alright. I just have to get use to these things." He said as he glanced at the crutches before he started making his way out of her office and back into the main office area.

"Can I head to class now?" You asked as you watched your dad walk out of her office as he trying to get out of being pampered by Ms. Jones. "Noctis is waiting for me."

"Noctis?" Ms. Jones asked as she looked at you with a strange look. "You mean Prince Noctis?"

'Yeah." You said as you looked back at her as you searched her face. "He was going to wait for me so that we could walk to homeroom together."

"I'm sorry dear, but we're just about to start third period at this point." Ms. Jones said as she gave you a concerned look.

Your jaw hit the floor. "Are you serious?" You asked as you stared at her. "But I didn't hear the bells."

"The bell back here is broken. So you wouldn't hear it." She said with a slight smile. "But since second period will end in about five minutes, you might as well just head for gym then. Perhaps he'll be there."

"Yeah." You said as you looked down.

"Perhaps." You replied as you tossed your bag over your shoulder while keeping your eyes on the ground.

"Bye dad. I'll see you after school." You said as you headed for the door.

"Have a good day kiddo." He replied behind you as you opened up the door and walked out.

So much for being an escort today. I was suppose to escort him to class. Noctis is going to kill me. You thought as you walked down the hallway towards the gym locker rooms.

"Does she really know him?" Ms. Jones asked as she watched you leave.

"Yeah." Paul answered as he watched the door close behind you.

"And they've actually been friends for a while now." He said as he smiled.

Then he looked down as he tried to get comfortable on the handles for the crutches. But it seemed that no matter how he shifted the crutches, he just couldn't get them into a good position. He sighed as he started to head for the door. He had a feeling that this was going to be a long recovery at this point.

"Well, have a good day Ms. Jones."  Paul said as he walked over and reached for the door handle so that he could walk out himself.

"You know.  Small hand towels work well for providing extra cushion." Paul heard Ms. Jones say behind him.

He stopped with his hand on the door handle as he thought about what she said. He then slowly turned around and looked at her. She gave him a shy smile before she dropped her gaze. Then she started rubbing her hands together as she looked at the floor.

"At least that's what helped me out when I had to use those after I sprained my ankle." She shyly said as she looked at the floor.

"Thank you, Ms. Jones."  Paul quietly said as he gave her a slight grin back.  "I'll give it a try when I get home. "