Chapter 31 - New Team - New Rivals

You could just hear the water being pulled off of the overflow at the edge of the pool. Your skin felt cool from being exposed to the air as the last few water droplets clung to your skin. You were standing there looking at the water as you waited to hear the call to the block. You heart rate was steady and you were focused. You were more than ready for this.

"Swimmers make ready for the women's 200 yard Individual Medley." The official starter said.

You slide your goggles over your eyes and swim cap.

"Swimmers take the block." You heard them call.

With that you you stepped onto the block. You then put your toes over the edge of the starting block with one foot. Then you place your other foot back as to you take the track start stance. Then you leaned over grabbed the front edge of the starter block. You slightly leaned back as you made sure that your center of balance was good, as you waited to hear the first sound of the starting gun.

"Swimmers take your mark." They said.

You pulled yourself closed to the starting block as you braced yourself for the start.

BEEEEEEP!

At the sound you push off with your feet as you brought your hands straight out in front of your head as you launched yourself into the water. You could feel yourself in the air for a moment after you locked your hands in front of you and brought your feet together. You felt like you were flying as you soared over the water, just before your hands entered the water. Then you pounded the water as you did your dolphin kicks just under the water before resurfacing. The powerful wave motion had you feeling like you were once more, one with the water as you flew down the lane.

As soon as you surfaced, you pulled your arms through the keyhole motion as you brought your head up for a breathe with a strong dolphin kick. Then you threw your head back down as you pulled your arms out of the water. Your arms then flew out of the water as you swung them out to your sides before they re-enter the water in front of you again. You finished the motion with a strong dolphin kick to push you back into the water. You continue with your butterfly stroke as you flew down the lane with the strong wave motion. After executing a touch turn on the far wall, you headed back down.

As you approached the starter wall you readied yourself for the transition into the backstroke. You increased your pace on the last two strokes which provided the momentum to fly into the wall with both hands touching the wall at the same time. Then your quickly tucked your feet up under you as you brought your feet to the wall. Then you slammed your feet off of the wall as you leaned back and straightened back out with your arms stretched back out in front of you before once again pounding the water with your dolphin kick as you now faced the ceiling.

As you headed back up to the surface, you dropped down your right hand as you readied yourself to begin your backstroke. Then once you broke the surface, you immediately brought your right arm straight back as started rotating your shoulders as you alternated your arms as you pulled yourself through the water like a canoe. You kept your pace steady, but quick as you moved down the lane. You could see the arms of the swimmers on both sides as you thundered down the lane.

You kept the same pace as you kept an eye on them. Then you saw the flags over head and started your count again. Then after executing your backstroke flip turn, you kept the same pace. You knew not to push it to hard to early in the race, otherwise you won't make it to the end. So instead you kept your same pace. You knew that you were good as long as they didn't pick up speed.

Then right as you saw the flags again, you started your count before you increased your speed again as you reached out with one hand. As you touched the wall you slightly turned your shoulders so that you could do the crossover turn. You then tucked your feet up and pushed off of the wall as you were slightly on your side. Then you quickly rolled over onto your stomach while under water and thrusted forward with dolphin kicks again.