Chapter 16 - Personal Integrity

After spending a few hours at Ignis' condo enjoying the cool water of the pool and the delicious fruit drink that Ignis had prepared, it was time to head back to the citadel. You and Monica had changed in the bathroom, while the guys were in Ignis' bedroom. You and Monica talked about how she was going to stop by the citadel early the next day so that she could ensure that everything was perfect for the ball. You weren't sure what time you would get there since you were at the mercy of your dad as to when you would be arriving. But you knew that he would be slightly early himself just to make sure that the security was properly in place for the ball.

Once everyone was ready and the condo was clean again, Ignis made a quick call for a ride. On the way down to the garage, everyone was happily chatting about the celebration and about the dance. Everyone seemed to getting just as excited as you were. Even Ignis seemed to be smiling bigger as he looked at you.

Once in the garage Monica and Gladio headed out for the night, while the rest of you climbed into the back seat of the royal car before heading back to the citadel. After you arrived, the three of you headed upstairs to check in with the adults to see if you missed anything. Noctis headed to the throne room, while you and Ignis headed to Korn's office.  But as you approached the office you heard a lot of voices coming from the office.

You paused for a moment and grabbed Ignis' arm before he walked into the office. He stopped in his tracks and looked at you as he tried to figure out why you stopped him. But as he stood there he could hear part of the reason.

"Are you sure that the prince will be safe if she is protecting him?" You heard a male voice say. "I mean hell, isn't she a target herself."

"She is.  But they say that she has already proven a few times that she can handle almost everything. Hell she escaped from a Niflheim prison that was in the heart of the Nif Headquarters." You heard another male voice say.

"That may be true. But that was only after she was taken. I.......I don't know. I still think that it's too big of a risk having her that close to him. I myself, don't trust her to keep him safe."  Your mouth dropped open as his words hit you like a ton of bricks and made your heart drop.

Were you really that much of a risk to Noctis? You though in horror. You dropped your head from the weight of the thought of putting him in further danger.  You started to feel weak as a wave of guilt washed over you.  So with your head down, you walking away from the office door. You headed in the opposite direction from the office and elevators. 

You had always known that he would always be a high profile target.  And this went for anyone or any aggressive act.  Whether it was against him or to try and make a statement against his dad or even against the government in general. There would always be a chance that someone would try something.  But was your presence making it worse? Were you actually putting him in more danger then he already was?

Ignis watched you walk a short distance away before you slumped up against the wall. You slowly crumbled as you slid down it as you curled up with your arms around your knees and your head turned downward. He could tell that you were highly upset by their words. Which infuriated him. He clenched his jaw as he curled his hands into fists as he fought to keep his temper under control. Had dare them.  They had no idea what you had gone through. And they were counting you out before you even had a chance to prove your worth to them.  Not that you had anything to prove to them to begin with.

He took a deep breath, as he tried to stay calm.  Then he turned towards the room and saw who was talking. He narrowed his eyes at them as he remembered that they were two of the new senior leaders for the security teams for the city. He knew better then to say anything right now, since it would only cause a scene. But that didn't mean that he wouldn't mention what he heard to his uncle once he was alone with him. The last thing that anyone wanted was a weak link in the security around the royal family.  And their lack of trust and support towards you, could prove to be deadly if gone unchecked.