Chapter 56 - Unanswered Questions

THE next morning, Ignis was standing in the hallway of the hospital with his uncle as they waited to go into the room and talk to Gwen. The hospital staff had called Korn and said that she had woken up. So they had left the condo almost immediately and headed over to the hospital.

It had only taken Ignis a couple minutes to get ready, since he hadn't been able to sleep a wink since the concert. He just couldn't relax enough to fall asleep. The events kept constantly replaying in his head and the unanswered questions were constantly running through his mind.  This kept him solely focused on those events, which was prevented him from being able to relax enough to sleep.

Finally the door opened back up and the doctor walked out. "You can see her now." The doctor told them in a quiet voice. "Just try not to upset her too much.  She does have a concussion from her head banging against the wall that hard."

"We just need to ask her a few questions." Korn tried to reassure the doctor. "After that she can rest and recover. But we have to find out what happened. Someone else's life is in the balance as we speak. So every second counts right now."

The doctor nodded his head as he looked down. "I understand. I just hope that she remembers something useful for you."  The doctor returned before he looked back up.   "But just be aware that injuries like her's seem to take away some memories."

"Thank you doctor."  Korn said.  "But if she can provide any information at this point, we would be grateful."

"Please let me know if you need anything else."  The doctor said as he pushed his glasses back up on his face with his middle finger.

Ignis gave the doctor a curious look as he dropped his hand back down.  The motion was familiar to him, and not because he did the same thing.  But it was more in how he did it, that made him curious.  It was almost as if he was looking in a mirror as he watched the doctor. 

Do I know him?  Ignis thought as he watched the doctor closely.

"I'll still be here for another hour or so, as I finish up my rounds."  He said as he started to walk away.  "Just have the nurses page me if you need me."

"Thank you."  Korn returned.

"Come on Ignis."  Korn said as he put his hand on the door handle. 

"Let's see what Ms. Teagre can tell us."  Korn said then walked into the room.

Ignis watched the doctor walk away before he turned back to his uncle.  "Do we know him?"

"Well sure we do."  Korn answered as he continued walking.  "He's the only doctor who is allowed to deal with high profile patients here.  Because of the security and privacy factor of course."

"Of course..."  Ignis quietly said as he slowly followed his uncle.

Ignis then turned his attention back to the room as he walked in.  As he stepped into the room, his heart skipped as he recalled the last time he walked into a hospital room was when he had gone to see you.  He looked around the room and saw the two beds that were on opposite sides of the room.  The curtains were drawn completely on the bed to the left and only partially on the one on his right .

Ignis stopped in his tracks as he stared at the closed curtains around the bed on the left.  He recalled how in your room, you had been in the bed on the left and the one on the right had been empty.  The lighting that day had been much darker when he walked in.  And Noctis was already in the room as Ignis had followed Gladious in.

He had heard shouting from you at Noctis as your voice came drifting out of the room, just as they were about to walk in.  That was when he had decided that Gladio and himself would wait until it calmed down before walking in.  He knew that the two of you needed to have a private moment before they walked in.  So when the room went quiet, that was when they knocked.