Chapter 72 - Starry Night

You started to get nervous when you put your hand on the door handle of the bridge door. You hadn't been back up to the bridge since Chris had sent you away last time. Your heart rate slightly increased as you remembered the snickers you had gotten from the bridge team to his dismissive comment towards you. The whole thing embarrassed you so much that you had stormed off the bridge. That wasn't something that you wanted to repeat anytime soon.

"Hey (y/n)."  You heard as you jumped from the the voice coming from behind you. "Are you joining us tonight?"

You quickly turned around and came face to face with one of the people from the self defense class. She was beaming at you as she stood there. You slightly smiled back at her. Her welcoming reaction to you was encouraging.

"For a bit." You replied with a slight smile. "Chris said that he wanted to show me something."

"Tonight would be a great night for it." She said as she slightly glanced off to the side.

"A great night for what?" You asked as you looked at her.

She beamed back at you. "Oh no. I'm not going to ruin that surprise. Your going to have to wait until Chris shows you."

"Okay." You smiled back.

Then with a smile, you were about to open up the door to the bridge when the door right beside you started to move. You jumped back as the door opened up. Suddenly there was several people coming out of that door. They saw you and smiled as they greeted you. Then they headed into the bridge. Then as the last person was getting ready to walk out of the room, you recognized him as being the guy who was on the chart table when the ship had pulled out. He looked at you and smiled. Then he turned he head back towards the room.

"There's someone here for you Chris." He called into the room.

"Good. Send her in. We'll meet you there in a minute.  But go ahead and get everything ready." You heard Chris' voice say from the room.

"Roger that." He said back before he turned to you.

"You heard him." He said as he nodded towards the room. "We'll see you two in a bit."

Then with a smile he entered the bridge along with the girl that you had been talking to earlier. You gave them both a curious look before you turned towards the open door. When you looked in, you saw another chart table against one wall, as well as a computer near the door. Then you noticed the solid roll of filing cabinets leading up to a adjacent wall of shelves. The shelves were full of wooden boxes of all sizes and various pieces of equipment that you had never seen before and had no idea what they did.

"Hey." He said as he stood by the chart table as he was writing something down on a piece of paper that was in front of him. "I'm glad you decided to come up."

"Thanks for inviting me." You said as you stepped into the room and started looking around. "What is this room?"

"This is the chart room." Chris said as he stood back up and started gathering up the papers.

"That's a strange name for a room." You commented as you looked around.

Chris slightly laughed at you as he put the papers in the top drawer. "Perhaps if you're not familiar with what we do."

"Well I know that you do the navigation and the weather." You said as you looked at one of the wooden boxes that was sitting on the shelves.

"We do." He said as he turned and watched you. "But do you know how?"

"Well I suppose you would use some of this stuff." You said as you walked up to the shelves.

Chris stood there and watched you for a moment. Then he saw you looking at one of the wooden cases. He slowly walked up to you as you reached up and started to run your hand across the top of the box. He slightly smiled as he noticed you almost marveling at the small wooden box.