Chapter 42 - Swim Meet

YOU could feel your heart pounding in your chest as you climbed into the number 3 starting block. The cool air was sending goose bumps across your damp skin. You could faintly hear the cheers as people from the crowd were encouraging the swimmers. You glanced over at Nicole as she stood on the number 4 starting block with her matching swim cap and goggles. She gave you the same encouraging smile that you were now giving her.

"Swimmers take your mark." The announcer said.

You reached down and grabbed the front edge of the starting block with both hands. You locked your right toes over the edge and had your left foot slightly back. You leaned back like a rubber band getting ready to be fired. You looked ahead as you focused on your entry point in the water.

HOOOOOOONK! The horn sounded to signal the start of the race.

You launched yourself forward and off of the starting block as you threw your arms up by your head and clasped your hands together with one hand over the other and locked your thumbs as you entered the water with a smooth skim dive. The starter block slight shook from the motion as the cool water enveloped your body as you completely entered the water. Then after your three powerful dolphin kicks to get you started, you rose to the surface and immediately started flying down the lane. Your hands smoothly and swiftly entered the water as they alternated between pulling the water down past your sides to coming out of the water so that it could enter again. Your feet were thundered behind you as they propelled you forward with their swift kicks.

You watched out of the corner of your eye as you saw that Nicole was keeping up with you. Within a few strokes you were approaching the wall. Then after a tight somersault, you rocketed off the wall after you slammed your feet against the wall as you launched yourself off again. The speed of the turn caused the water to splash over the side of the pool as you did three dolphins kicks again before coming back up for you swift stroke.

You tried to glance over to the other lanes when you were taking your breaths to see if you could spot any of the other swimmers. But so far the only one you saw was Nicole who was slowly starting to fall back. You kept your speed as you approached the wall for a second time. Then as you slammed off of the wall you caught sight of someone on the other side of Nicole who was starting to pass her as she fell further back.

Seeing this, you started to pick up some more speed. You weren't about to lose this heat. But about half way across the other swimmer passed Nicole and was racing to catch up to you. You picked up more speed just before the wall. Then after thundering off the wall for the last time, you pushed yourself to your limit to keep up the lead as the other swimmer increased her speed as well. You could hear a roar in the water as the wall fast approached you. You held your breath for the remainder of the lap as you push yourself harder than you ever had been.

Your hands flew in front of you as fast as they could leave the water and your feet thrashed the water and they pounded forward. The wall was fastly approached, but so was she. You pushed harder until you slammed both hands against the wall ending the race. Your whole body froze from the sudden stop in motion. All that remain was the slight wave that had followed you down the lane.

You grabbed onto the wall and lifted your head above the water to hear a deafening roar from the crowds as they saw the times on the board. Your heart was pumping in your chest as hard as your breaths were coming out. You couldn't see the times through your goggles as you tried to catch your breath. Then you heard Nicole scream from behind you.

"(Y/n)! You did it!" She shouted then reached over the lane and hugged you as she screamed in your ear. "You just set a new team record!"

"What?" You barely said as you felt your heart leap out of your chest. "Are you serious?"