Chapter 17 - Quid Pro Quo

THE next day found you nervously clutching your gym bag as you rode over to the Citadel. Ignis and Noctis were both talking about the swim team tryouts that were going to be happening in a few days.

"So (Y/N), what do we need to do in order to get on the team?" Noctis asked.

"Huh. Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention." You said as you tried to calm down.

"Are you alright?" Ignis asked when he saw your face.

"I'm sorry. I'm just nervous." You said as you looked down.

"You can't be as nervous as I am about the tryouts." Noctis stated with a nervous smile.

You smiled back at him. "You, have nothing to be nervous about. The tryouts are actually very simple. They will have everyone do a lap or two of each stroke, so that they can see how well you know each stroke and which ones you need to work on. Your strongest stroke will be the one that they will have you initial race until you get stronger in the others, or until you have "mastered" your strongest stroke as want to learn another one really well."

"Oh. Is that all." Noctis said. "Wait. What are strokes?"

"Your kidding right?" You asked as you stared at him.

Ignis started chuckling. "He knows them. Well, most of them.  He just doesn't know what they are called." Ignis replied.

"Well I hope so, otherwise you will have a much harder time than you think." You replied as you looked at them. "Perhaps I could help you out with your techniques before tryouts."

"Now that's not be a bad idea." Ignis answered. "In fact we could all help each other get ready for tryouts."

"Now that's an idea that I really like." Noctis added.

"Like a quid pro quo." You answer.

"Precisely." Ignis said with a smile.

Noctis looked at both you with a strange look.

"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours." You explained to Noctis.

"Yeah....I knew that." Noctis said as he looked away.

You tried to hide a laugh as you looked at Ignis. Ignis smiled back and slightly shook his head as he looked down.

Before you knew it, you were once again being driven in through the front gates of the Citadel. Ignis watched your reaction as you looked back up at the walls as they towered above. He had long gotten over the massive walls that surrounded the perimeter. But he loved watching your reaction to the structure. It was the exact opposite of Noctis. Noctis saw them as prison walls at times, while you looked at them with wonder and excitement.

After the short drive from the gates to the front stairs, you were once again greet by the valet as he opened up the door for the three of you to get out. Noctis was first since he was the one closest to the door. Then Ignis got out and you followed after him. Ignis held out his hand to you so that you could use it to help get out of the car.

 Ignis held out his hand to you so that you could use it to help get out of the car