Chapter 9 - Clean-Up

YOU bit into the burger and seemed to be in heaven. As the combination of meat, cheese, bread, pickles, ketchup, mustard, and lettuce danced across your taste buds. You closed your eyes as you enjoyed the flavor. You had forgotten how good these tasted. Ignis smiled at you as you hummed your delight.

"I don't think that I've ever seen anyone enjoy a burger quite so much before." Ignis commented as he enjoyed watching you savor each bite as he ate a fry.

"You try living off of nothing but fish for three years." You said before you took another bite.

Ignis gave you a strange look. "Only fish? How is that possible?"

Paul started laughing as he grabbed a fry.

"It wasn't all fish." He commented as he ate the fry.

You gave him a stern look as you chewed.

"I mean sure we, had it a lot." He added as grabbed another fry.

You paused as you cocked your head at him.

"But it wasn't every single night. We tried to have something else every chance we got." He continued as he was starting to get uncomfortable.

"Uhhhh." You groaned after you finally swallowed your food. "What my father is neglecting to say is that in Altissia, fish is the primary source of food due to the locality. There isn't exactly a lot of open fields there that can be used to raise animals. So to be able to eat anything other than fish is kind of a luxury and can be quite pricey. Sure they may have had the monster fights every night. But there was never any guarantee that you would get any good meat after the fights were done. Most of the time the meat was tainted or poisoned. So they would used it to hunt or fish with instead."

"You know I never even thought about that before." Korn said as he watched you take another bite. "You have learned quite a bit while you have been gone."

"Are you kidding." Paul chimed in. "This girl hasn't stopped once. She memorized every street in Altissia like the back of her hand and I think she even knows every vender."

"Not quite every vendor." You corrected.

"Some of them never did trust me because I wasn't 'born' there." You said as you did quotes marks in the air for emphasis.

"You memorized all of those streets?" Korn asked as he looked at you.

"Believe it to not, there aren't really that many to memorize. Plus each area is kind of like Insomnia, in the sense, that it is broken up into sections. All I did was learn each section separately then just put them together like a jigsaw puzzle." You explained then ate a few fries. "Holy shit, even these taste better."

"Hey, language." You dad said sternly to you.

"What?" You asked as you ate a few more.

Paul just shook his head as he decided to drop it before it went down hill. "So after we're done here we'll head to the grocery store so that we can get the food and cleaning supplies that we'll need. I'll start calling the utility companies once we get back to the house so that we can get everything turned back on today and tomorrow. I want to have us in the house well before the celebration starts."

"Don't you think that that might be pushing it a bit?" You asked as you ate a few more fries.

"No, I don't." Your dad answered.

Then he gave you a direct stare. "We have been out of our house long enough. It's time to go home."

"I want to be home just as much as you, but I'm worried about you pushing yourself too far." You added before you took a drink as you gave him a concerned look.