Chapter 31 - Family Ties

"SEE miss (y/n). Snowball is fine." The veterinarian was saying as he handed you a now wet, but clean cat.

"None of that blood was from her. She's as fit as a fiddle." He said after you pulled her into your arms as the tears started again.

"Thank you." You said through your tears as you held her tight.

You then walked over to the couch and sat down Indian style with her still in your arms. You held Snowball as she was wrapped up in a clean white towel. Only her head was sticking out as she purred against you. You continued to dry her off with the towel as you were petting her at the same time. You couldn't believe that she had gotten out of the house, let alone found her way to the citadel. Your heart was still racing as you gently stroked her fur as you slowly dried her off. She soon had her eyes closed as she happily purred in your arms.

Cats must truly have nine lives. You thought to yourself as you held her tight.

And at least I still have her. You thought as you lost yourself in the rhythm of her constant purring while you were petting her.

"Thank you for stopping by this late at night." King Regis was telling the veterinarian as he was cleaning up to head out.

"It was my pleasure your Majesty." He said as he closed up his bag. "I did take a sample of the blood, as you requested, and handed it to the young man with glasses who was standing here a few minutes ago."

King Regis nodded as he looked down for a moment. "Thank you."

"If you don't mind me asking....?" The veterinarian started to ask.

"Currently I do." The King quickly returned as he looked back up.

"But thank you for your concern." He said with a smile.

The veterinarian closed his mouth and bowed to the King. "Oh course your Majesty. Just let me know if there are any changes."

"We will. Thank you." King Regis said and escorted the veterinarian out of the room.

Once the veterinarian was out the door, King Regis closed the door and walked over to you as you absently dried off your cat as you stroked her fur. He sat on the opposite end of the couch of you. He crossed his legs and put his arm over the back of the couch as he looked over at you. You continued to look forward as you just blankly stared at the floor.

"Nyx informed me about the conversation that you had in the car with them before you arrived." King Regis began as he watched you. "You must have a lot of questions."

You simply dropped your eyes as you tried to control the tears from forming in your eyes. You didn't dare to attempt to make eye contact. You were afraid to. You didn't want him to see how torn apart that you were really feeling.

"If you want. I can try and answer some of them for you." King Regis said in a calm voice as he tried to read you.

"There's only one question that I want answered." You quietly said as you looked at the floor as you continued to pet your cat.

"And that would be 'Why?' Why did they lie to me? Why didn't they tell me the truth about their jobs? Why did they feel that they had to hide this from me? Why are they missing? Why?......." You said as you trailed off as your throat tighten to the point that you couldn't talk anymore.

You dropped your head as you lip quivered as you fought to keep from breaking down again. King Regis looked down. Then he dropped his hand to your shoulder.

"Because they had to." He quietly said as he raised his eyes back up to watch you.

You slowly looked back up at him as tears slowly started streaming from your now bloodshot eyes. Your jaw was hanging open as you looked at him.