Chapter 1 - Altissia

THE warm early morning sun was starting to peak out over the high mountains that surrounded Altissia. The clean salty air filled your lungs as you ran through the city on your usual morning jog. You smiled to yourself as you relished in the thought, that because of your morning jogs, you now knew the streets better than most of the locals who had lived there their whole lives.

You had mapped it out shortly after starting your temporary stay at the City on the Sea, so that you could keep up with your retainer training. Little did you known at that time, that your 'temporary' stay was going to last three years. So much for it being temporary, to you it felt more like a century had passed since you had arrived. In fact sometimes you thought that you were never going to see Insomnia and the guys again.

But that was all finally coming to an end. For after a major change in the guards, literally. Insomnia was now the most secure city in the world. Which was why you were finally going to be heading back to help celebrate the 750th Founder's Day Celebration in Insomnia.

Your dad had told you that everyone in the investigation division said that it would be a great time to come back since there was already going to be a large amount of high profile visitors in the area.  The whole scene would make it much easier for you to sneak in under the radar and not raise any suspicion. Korn figured that no one would be able to find you and your dad in that type of crowd. Which was fine with you. Just as long as you got to go back home.

Plus, your dad was going to be checking in on the old house to see if you could safely move back into it. After all, it had been sitting there unoccupied the whole time you were gone. And if he decided that it good, you would move back in. Of course if he decided that it wasn't safe enough, then he would go about buying a new one.

But if you knew your dad, it didn't matter how bad of a condition that the house was in. He wasn't going to get rid of it, no matter what. After all, it had been the last thing that both of your parents had purchased together. So it wasn't exactly something that he wanted to part with. Besides, it was home for both of you, even without your brother and mom.

And even though it had been hard to leave it all behind. It had all been necessary. For after the brief visit at Tenebrae, after you barely escaped from Nif's steely hands. It had been decided that it would be best for you and your dad to go into hiding and leave the country for awhile.

Now the decision hadn't been an easy one for your dad to make. He hated leaving everything like that. But he also didn't want to take the chance of anything happening to either of you. He had already lost so much and he didn't want to take a chance on losing anyone else. Which was why shortly after your mother's full honors funeral, you both packed up your things and went to Altissia to stay with your godmother.

You don't remember most of that time frame since it involved way to many hurtful memories, which all seemed to blend together at this point. But you remembered the funeral and how they had done a closed casket for the viewing, at your dad's request. He didn't want everyone staring at her as they looked for the bullet hole in her head. He did however request that they didn't seal it up until after the two of you got to say your final goodbyes.

Which took place just before the procession to the cemetery. That part hit your dad harder than anything else. You had never seen a grown man cry as hard as he did that day when they closed her up. And you prayed that you would never see it again.

You also remembered having to say goodbye to Ignis, Noctis, Gladio and everyone else at the citadel as well.  That had been very painful since you wouldn't be able to have any direct communications with any of them, due to the fear of someone tracking your calls or mail. That part hurt you the most. You had gotten so use to being around them all the time, that being separated from them was like burying your world with your mom. At least in your minds eye. You had felt like your entire life was being taken away from you.