Chapter 88 - First Sunrise

"I had a great time tonight." Cathy said to Paul as he stood outside of her apartment door after walking her upstairs.

"I did to." Paul said with a slight smile. "It's nice to get out every once in a while."

"We should do it again soon." Cathy said as she slightly smiled as fumbled with her key as she tried to unlock the door.

"Perhaps." Paul said as he watched her unlock her apartment and open up the door.

He couldn't help a fleeting thought of entering her apartment and enjoying one night of mindless sex. But, in the back of his mind he knew that it wouldn't be Cathy that he would be seeing on the bed. She would be Tracy. As she stood there that first time in his bedroom, naked and waiting for him to touch her.

The image was so strong in his head, that he could practically see and feel her, as he longed for her. His body almost trembled as he took a deep breath as he tried to calm back down. For he knew in his heart. That the only person that he really wanted was her. Because she was the only one who could fill that gap for him. No matter how hard anyone would try. No one else would do.

But of course, not even she had been able to replace Lynn. His best friend, partner, and first true love. And it was because of those two women, that he had even made it this far. And this was why they had meant everything to him.

But now that they were both out of his life. This left only one woman left in his world that he truly gave a shit about. And that was you. He closed his eyes as he dropped his head.

There was no way that he was going to lose you too. The very thought of it made him tense up. He clasped his hands into tight fists as he took a deep breath as he tried to calm himself back down again and get back out of his head. Before it took over again.

"Would you like to come in?" He heard Cathy ask as her voice interrupted his train of troublesome thoughts.

"No that's okay." He softly replied as he slowly opened his eyes and hooked his thumbs into his front pants pockets. "I really should be heading home. (y/n) will be home sometime tonight. And I would hate for her to come home to an empty house."

"Oh....okay." He heard her say in a disappointed tone. "Perhaps next time then?"

"Perhaps." Paul said as he slowly looked up as he meet her gaze. "Well I hope you sleep well. And please be sure to let me know about (y/n)'s schedule. We need to know that it is all set for this next semester. Okay? We have a lot riding on her completing these classes before the year is out."

Cathy gave him a gentle smile. "Don't worry. I will. I'll call you first thing Monday morning once I take a look myself. Then we can go over it together."

"Sounds good. Thank you. Well, until then." Paul said and turned on his heel.

"Good night Paul." Cathy called after him as she stood there feeling conflicted.

Without so much as a glance back, he walked down the hallway and back outside to the awaiting cab. As he climbed into the back seat, he secretly vowed to never show back up at her place again. She was innocent in his eyes. And she didn't deserve to have to deal with the shit that seemed to follow him every step of his life. No, he wouldn't get her, or anyone else for that matter, involved with him anymore. Besides, he didn't think he could stand to see another innocent person get hurt because of him.

Her heart dropped as she watched him walk away. She had really wanted him to come into her apartment. For she was hoping to be able to continue the dance that they had started on the dance floor. Only this time, the clothes would actually come off. And they would end with them both calling out as they clutched to each other's sweaty body.