Chapter 27 - Arrows and Egos

YOU walked over to the weapons stand and grabbed the black and brown bow again that you had held earlier. Then you went over and grabbed a quiver that was full of arrows from the back of the stand. Than you looked over to a table that had been set up by the weapons stand. You smiled when you saw that they had the arm bracers and shooters gloves. You weren't surprised that everything was black leather, it seemed to be the signature with the royal family

You grabbed one of each and proceeded to put the bracer and shooter glove on. Noctis followed suit. Then he handed you a simple black belt for the quiver. You smiled back at him as you took the belt from him.

"Where was it that you said that you learned how to do this?" Noctis asked as he finished putting on his belt and quiver.

"It was at summer camp." You quietly said as you made a few adjustments to the belt as it held the quiver against your right hip.

"When did you...?" Noctis started to ask.

"I'm going to get in some practice shots before they arrive." You said as you walked away and entered the roped off area.

Noctis was taken back by your action as he watched you walk away. He didn't like that reaction, for he knew that meant that you were hiding something about this "summer camp". But he wasn't quite sure if he should pressure you to talk about it or not. You seemed to trying to avoid the subject. But he wanted to try, but only once. He would know if you wanted to talk about just based on your reaction to him asking once more. If you shot him down, then he would back off.

He glanced over at Ignis and Gladio as they had finally released each other and were just talking. They seemed to be in a deep conversation that didn't look like it was going to end anytime soon. Noctis dropped his gaze for a bit then looked over at you. He stood there and watched as you took out one arrow and placed the feathered end in between the two nubs.

You laid the shaft against the guide in the bow as you moved your left foot forward and your right back. Then you raised the bow until your arms were parallel with the ground. Then you pointed your left fore finger as you aimed at the first target and drew back the arrow so that the feather was near your eye. Then you lined up the arrow with the target then you angled the tip up a bit to account for the 50 yards and for the arch of the arrow. Then you released the arrow.

Funk.

You smiled to yourself at the satisfying sound of a arrow striking a hay barrel. Keeping your stance, you grabbed another arrow and continued to shoot.

"I understand your concern Gladio." Ignis was telling his best friend. "But this is my life. Not yours and not my uncle's."

"But you're forgetting the bigger picture." Gladio argued back.

"I have never forgotten the bigger picture." Ignis sternly replied back at him.

"Then what do you call what just happened?" Gladio argued back. "And you even said yourself that you got distracted. The Ignis I know would never be distracted by anything or anyone. Your losing your edge. And you and I both know that if you lose your edge while on duty, you put everyone at risk. I for one don't want to end up dead because you were distracted. And I know that Noctis doesn't wants that either."

"Noctis has and will always be my first priority. I have sworn to put my own life on the line for him and nothing will change that!" Ignis yelled back.

"You would do well not to forget that. Now stop fucking around with that bitch you call your girlfriend and get your head out of your ass!" Gladio shouted back.

Ignis glared at Gladio as silence fell over the group.

The words stopped you in your tracks. Your heart seemed to be beating out of your chest now.