Chapter 106 - Last Chance

You could feel the tension in the room as everyone watched the divers prepare for their final dives.  So far there was a three way tie for first place for the men's and a two way tie for first for the women's.  Ignis and Trish were luckily in those groups.  But that only added to the tension that they were feeling as they stood by and waited for their turn.

You felt like your heart was going to explode as you watched.  The tension was so great and you could see that in the divers as they were each taking their turns with each dive.   All of the divers in the lead seemed to be a bit on edge as they each took a little more time before they actually started each dive.  Even Ignis seemed to be a bit more hesitant than usual.

"I think your shammy is dead."  You heard Noctis say as he sat beside you.

"Ohh."  You said as you loosened up your grip as you looked down and realized that you had been wringing your shammy tightly in your hands as you watched.

"He's doing great.  Don't worry."  Noctis said as he placed his hand on yours as he tried to calm you down.  "Ignis has never lost before."

"You can't say that."  You said as you looked at him.  "Remember the first meet?"

"Yes.  I remember that one very well."  Noctis said with a slight smile.  "And I also remember he still won first place and he didn't even get to complete his last dive.  So don't worry."

"I can't help it."  You said as you slightly looked down before you looked back over at the boards.  "After seeing him fall that time, I can't help but to be a bit concerned."

"But you said that he was solid during practice?"  Noctis said as he gave you a quick glance before he looked back and saw one of the male divers climb back on the board for his final dive.

"He was."  You said as the diver adjusted the fulcrum and tossed his shammy to the edge of the pool deck.  "But none of us were expecting the competition to be this tough."

You both then stopped and watched as the diver made their approach and did a forward 2 1/2 somersault before pulling back out and entering with a slight splash.  Your heart raced as you clapped for the diver. You saw Ignis drop his head for a moment before he started to make his way over to the board. The tension had your nerves on edge as Ignis walked over as they read off the score. Your mouth went dry as the score was the highest yet, which put the last diver in the lead by a small margin.

Ignis walked over and did a quick glance at the board. Then he climbed up on to it.   Suddenly the memory of him slipping rushed through his head.   He froze for a moment as he tried to clear his head again.  That was until his train on thought was interrupted.

"Come on Iggy!"  You shouted.

"You got this!" Noctis shouted as well.

Ignis took a deep breath as he looked over and saw the two of you smiling at him.  As he looked at you, he felt his confidence come back. He then nodded and walked up and adjusted the fulcrum. Then he tossed his shammy at the edge of the pool and went to take his place at the start of the board.

I need to do this one perfectly if I'm to seal my win. Ignis thought as he stood for a moment.  And I must win.  For her.

Ignis then glanced over at the adjacent board and could once again see you standing there. His breath caught, even though he knew that you weren't there. But when you looked at him and gave him a slight nod, that was all he needed.  He then turned around with a very serious look.

Then you watched with baited breath as Ignis went into his approach.  And as he was launched high into the air as he brought both legs back down together, time seemed to slow down for a moment as you watched.  But time sped back up as he landed.  Because he seemed to go immediately into his dive once he was airborne a second time as he went into his twist followed immediately by him going into a pike somersault.  Then after two full rotations, he pulled out of it and entered the water with a perfect entrance.