Chapter 48 - Apologies

"Dad!"  You cried as you ran out of the kitchen and straight towards your dad as he stood in the living room as he removed his blazer.

"There's my girl."  He said right as you threw your arms around him and hugged him tight.

He wrapped his arms around you and gave you a kiss on the head.  "Hey kiddo."

"Your never allowed to leave my sight again."  You said as you squeezed him before you leaned back enough to look at him.

"You understand me?"  You said in a demanding voice as you stared hard at him.

Paul slightly chuckled at you.  "So now my daughter is giving me orders.  I didn't think that would start just yet."

"I'm serious dad."  You said with more force.  "You really scared me last night.  And not just once.  But twice."

"I know."  Your dad quietly said as he ran his fingers across your face as he moved your hair behind your ear.  "I know."

"I can't lose you."  You said as a tear streamed down your face as you were starting to lose your composure.  "Your all I have left."

"I'm not going anywhere for a long time."  He said as he pulled you in close.  "At least, not if I have anything to say about it."

You closed your eyes as you felt comfort in his embrace.  Then you looked over at Tracy and saw her give you both a loving look as she watched the two of you.  Then she dropped her gaze and started looking at the floor.  You noticed that she looked tired and beat up.  What with the bags under her eyes and the bandages on her neck and forehead.  You could almost say that she looked like a bus had hit her.

Now you knew that she should probably be in bed resting.  But you had to know.  You just had to know why.  And it might as well be now that they start explaining.

"So what am I suppose to call you now?"  You asked Tracy in a stern voice.

Your dad loosen his grip on you as he felt you start to tense up.  He knew that this was coming.  But he had hoped for a few minutes of peace before they had to get into this with you.

Tracy slightly smiled before she dropped her gaze again.  She wasn't sure where you were going with this.  But she had already known that there would be a lot of explaining to do no matter which way it went.  So with a sigh, she figured that she might as well just lay out everything to you.

"My real name is Tracy Sullivan."  She said as she looked you in the eyes.  "I'm an undercover agent for the Intelligence Department.  And I have been working for Korn for many years now.  I have also worked with both of your parents on various missions after attending the academy with them."

Then Tracy dropped her gaze.  "At least I did.  Until the Niflheim mission.  During which my team and myself were taken hostage.  They had held us for almost three months.  Until my team helped me escape with my life.  But it was at the cost of their own.  Since then I have been under protective custody by the agency and have had to use my assumed name of Sara Long to protect my identity."

She slowly looked up at you with a slight smile.  "But you can still call me Sara.  If your more comfortable with that."

"I would be more comfortable if I had known the truth from the beginning."  You said as you released your dad and took a step back from him.

"But that wasn't possible."  Your dad said to you as he watched you back up and cross your arms in front of yourself.  "She was, and still is, under protective custody."

"But you knew."  You pointed out.  "Why didn't you say something?"

"I didn't know."  Your dad corrected as he watched you.  "I had figured it out on my own right after the holiday party."