forty six: expressions

"so, what are your weekend plans?" j.j. asked you as you looked over at her while finishing gathering things off your desk that you either needed to give to garcia or take home with you. 

"well," you began. "reid and i had plans but i'm not so sure that they'll really work out. he's been so tired lately and i have no clue why." 

j.j. furrowed her brows. 

"from the job?" she questioned as you shook  your head. 

"he says it's nothing for me to worry about." 

j.j. nodded, looking over to see him walking over to you. 

"heads up," she announced quietly to you. you stood up from the bottom desk drawer as you looked over towards the direction she was looking at. reid was coming over to where you were as you looked over at her. 

"thanks," you replied. "i'll see you on monday."

she nodded, giving you a small smile before leaving as reid came over to where you were standing, still gathering everything you needed for the weekend. 

"hey," you said to him as he came over to where you were. 

"can we talk, _____?" he asked. 

you felt your entire body tense up and it was clearly noticeable as he commented on your current state. 

"sweetheart, i'm not breaking up with you," he said softly as you looked back over at him. he gave you a soft smile before grabbing your hand in his. "okay, we can just do it here then."

"do what?" you asked gently, still tense. 

"______, you know i love you dearly. and you also know i tell you everything," he began as you nodded. "basically, i'm trying to say that i wanted to give you something. a promise between the two of us."

you furrowed your brows in confusion before noticing him pulling out a ring that was made just for you. you smiled a little as he put it on your finger. 

"look, i haven't been trying to express everything going on with me lately but i've been having some nightmares and i know that you'd do anything and everything to help me," he began. "but i can't have you dealing with this either. i just wanted to give you a promise in a physical form to express that i love you and you don't need to worry about me, angel."

you smiled up at him, pulling him into a tight hug as he could feel it.

"you're so tense," he commented as you nodded, only tightening your hold. "relax, ______. relax."

you let loose slightly as he smiled, pressing a soft kiss to your forehead before pulling you back into his grasp once more. 

"i love you, spence," you said softly. 

"i love you too, angel."