fifty five: work it out

"can you just go talk to him?" garcia asked you, looking at you desperately. you furrowed your brows, looking up at the room where reid was sitting down in a chair with his head in his hands.

"since when were you afraid of talking to reid?" you asked.

"since he threw that book at the wall," she muttered as you sighed, standing up and walking up to the room as you slowly opened the door.

"hey, spence," you said softly, watching him lift his head and look up at you. "is everything okay?"

"it should've taken me sixty seconds, not sixty minutes," he said softly. "if emily dies, it's on me."

"spence, it's not all on you, okay? we're all in this-"

"i'm supposed to be able to help, ______," he said, trying to be as gentle with you as possible. "and how can i help this case and emily if i'm struggling to figure out the basic facts?"

you walked over to him, taking a seat next to him as you looked over at him sweetly.

"this isn't your fault," you told him as he looked up at you. "you cannot blame yourself."

"but, _____," he began as you shook your head.

"no, spence," you interrupted. "i'm not going to sit here and watch you tear yourself down for something that you can't control. spence, you got out of prison! a place that will take the life and soul out of your body! you are spencer reid- and you are the most intelligent man i will ever know and have the chance to call mine. seeing you doing this to yourself is hurting me, spence. you can't keep hurting yourself mentally."

he looked over at you, seeing your eyes filled with a soft sternness as you observed his.

there was some silence between the two of you before he leaned over, pressing his lips to yours gently as you accepted the feeling.

when he let go, you looked back at him.

"i'm sorry," he said softly. "i'm so sorry, but you know that i'm struggling."

you nodded. "i know, spence. but you can fight this. you have me, the team. you have people ready and willing to help you."

he nodded, leaning over and resting his head on your shoulder, letting out a sigh. you reached up, running your fingers gently through his hair as he leaned further into you from where he was sitting.

"you always know what to say to me," he said to you as you smiled to yourself.

"after dating you for six years, i hope that i would know what to say to you," you told him sweetly, looking down at him.

"i love you," he replied. "and i'm sorry."

"for doubting yourself?" you asked, holding onto his hand tightly. "it's alright, spence. we can work through this together."

he nodded, looking up at you as you met his eyes.

"together."