Carol Danvers- Change (c)

The avengers were no more, but the new team that seemed to take their place, to tidy up to mess across the universe that Thanos had left, had no real name so seemingly took their name and role. It was a hard and stressful job. It was bad enough on its own but everyone on the team grieved some form of loss and now had to see not only your planet but the whole universe crumbling, left all of you lost and broken. You tried to keep all of the pieces together, but it did become harder with every day.

Most of the team focused on Earth but some were at the furthest corners of the known universe. One of them was Carol. You had never officially been together but there was always a connection but now you rarely got to see her. It couldn't even be considered a long-distance relationship. You hadn't seen her in almost two years but from what Natasha told you, she was doing well, as well as could be expected. Recently though, Natasha told you that Carol was finishing up on a distant planet before coming back to Earth... coming back to you.

Natasha had called you to tell you that she was back at the compound for a brief moment to take a breather before heading off to save another planet from the destruction it was forced to face. Although Carol was rarely at the compound, she still had a designated room that you visited almost every day to water her plants and make sure the dust didn't get too out of hand. You made your way there, but not to water some plants, but to see the woman who you had been desperately in love with for years.

You felt your heart skip a beat as you approached her room but tried to not let it phase you as you knocked on the door. She called out for you to enter the room, but that just made you more nervous. You knew very well that she was far too busy helping people to have formed an intimate relationship with someone else but that didn't stop you worrying. It had been two years since she was last on Earth, you couldn't help but think that may have put a wedge between you. Pushing open the door, you were glad to find Carol, as beautiful as ever.

"Welcome home," you smiled warmly.

Looking her over, you realised something was different. Her once shoulder length blond hair was chopped short atop her head, barely falling off to one side of her face.

"I like your haircut," you stated, not being able to resist the urge to touch it.

You let your hand toy with the ends of her hair, a smile curling upon her lips.

"I thought I could do with the change," she said.

"Did you think you needed to change anything else?" You asked quietly, hoping she realised what you meant with your question.

She smiled at you softly, shaking her head at you. Carol leaned in to kiss your cheek.

"I'd never want to change you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.