Okoye- Spear (a)

Okoye wrapped her hand around the thick training spear shaft and thrusted the stone tip into the training dummy with tremendous power, splitting its sturdy wooden body almost in two. With a swift and well-placed spinning kick the dummy splintered into two chunks, the head and shoulders flew across the grassy plain and rolled until slowly coming to a stop many metres away from where you stood.

"Okay." She hoisted the spear at you, it fumbled harshly into your cradling arms. "Your turn." The next dummy was quickly wheeled out in front of you and the remnants of the one destroyed by Okoye was swept away by the soldiers under her command. "Just... do what I did, you will be fine." You held the weighty weapon in your hands, firmly grasped the shaft as you had watched Okoye do and with tightly closed eyes jabbed the tip in with a deep lunge. You stayed still, scared to open your eyes or stand up from your now kneeling position. "Y/n?" Okoye stepped forwards and pulled the spear from your ever-tightening hands. You peeled your eyes slowly open, the dummy appeared undamaged and Okoye stood, attempting in vain to cover the corner of her lips from curling into a smile.

"Did I miss it?" Okoye said nothing, favouring instead planting the spear into the ground and nodding. Unsure if it were plain embarrassment or not you could not contain any laughter at yourself, slowly erupting with Okoye into teary mess with aching stomachs and hurting jaws. The situation had almost calmed down, you wiped a few tears away from your eye and let out the last of your chuckles as Okoye did the same.

"Maybe the spear is not the choice of weapon for you..." She kindly asked one of her nearby soldiers to get a pair of ring blades from the armoury. "Sometimes you just have to find the weapon that suits you best."

"I like your laugh." You caught Okoye by surprise as she bent down to pick up some of the larger wood splinters that were left over from her previous collision with a dummy.

"I'm sorry?" She stood upright and allowed the bright Wakanadan sun to dance over her skin.

"Nobody has been able to laugh in a while, and I'm glad the first one I've heard was yours."

"You have a lovely laugh too. I am sure when we are together, we will get to hear them over and over again, especially if I give you another spear to try."

~*~

Written by Aaron.

Tumblr Request.