Steve Rogers- Memories (a)

A rolling sea of sea of flags soared in the sky, each adorned with fifty white stars dashed across a blue background. Flocks of proud Americans unified under the azure sky every year on this day among many, to honour the noble men and women who died serving their country.

"Not one for the crowds?" You asked the solemn bystander as the rest of the crowd watched the military parade march downtown.

"No... not really." Under his dark rimmed sunglasses and greyed black cap you saw a light, comforting smile emerge on his lips. "I prefer to just sit back and take my time to remember those I've lost."

"Who have you lost?" You asked as he lifted his cap and ran calloused fingers through his wheat blonde hair.

"Hhmm?" Piercing yet gentle blue eyes accompanied another warming smile as he lowered his glasses to make sure he understood you.

"I think that nobody is truly dead until somebody says their name for the last time, so..." He didn't answer, replacing it instead for gently clutching a pocket watch which previously sat in his pocket and presumably had the answer to your question.

"Far too many people to mention kid, I wouldn't want to miss anybody out. What about you?"

You thought back in your memory, all the stories that your parents had told you about your great-grandparents suddenly came flooding partially back, only most of the stories were only snippets of what they had told you so many times.

"I like to think about my grandad." He nodded in solidarity. "He didn't die in the war but he's the only person I know that fought in it. He told me a lot of stories about his time fighting but I regret not taking the time to listen."

"Nobody listens but everybody regrets. What was his name at least?"

"Charles Prince, and even though I could have written a biography of his life I can only remember is that he was in the 26th infantry." From the corner of your eye you saw him turn look at you, his eyes darting around the air as if he was trying to recall.

"Missing a finger on his right hand?" He asked confidently. With great confusion you nodded, remembering fondly how your grandad used to freak out your nephews with his missing digit. "Tattoo across the back of his calf?" You nodded again, this time feeling scared yet slightly soothed.

"How do you know these things?" He stood up with a great stretch and pulled his cap down to cover some more of his face.

"Your great-grandfather was a great soldier, and an even greater man. He started writing some memoirs, he gave them to me during the battle of Midway, he didn't think he would survive, and I never saw him again." He began to stroll gently towards the crowds. "Send a letter to Avengers HQ, well get that book to you."

~*~

Written by Aaron.