Bucky Barnes- Night (c)

You woke up to your boyfriend's laboured breathing and flailing arms that moved to clutch his head, pulling it down to make himself seem as small as possible. He rocked himself back and forth as you switched on the lamp by the side of your bed. You hand clutched the drawer, ready to grasp your weapon but it was obvious rather quickly that there was no danger past what went through is mind.

Bucky had been through more than any man should ever have to put up with, the physical and mental scars were prevalent on him and at night they only shone brighter. It wasn't unknown to you that he had nightmares most nights but he tried his hardest not to wake you no matter how often you tried to reassure him that you didn't mind and wanted to be there to help him. Tonight, was one of the rare nights that he accidentally woke you and you weren't about to leave him.

Gently you snaked your arms around him, not wanting him to panic or lash out in fear. As you embrace him, his breathing hitched and he calmed slightly, his eyes closing as he tried to get his breathing back to a normal rate. You hated seeing him like that, but he was the love of your life and you were prepared to support him through everything no matter the good and bad that came with it.

"Hey, I'm with you, okay? Always," you cooed softly, pressing your lips to his shoulder as you held onto him.

All you wanted was to be there for him and as he settled in your arms, that begun to happen.

"I'm sorry for waking you," he croaked his throat dry and hoarse.

"You have no reason to be sorry Buck," you smiled at him. "I love you and I am here to help you when you need me."

"You shouldn't have to stay awake with me," he frowned.

You shook your head before pulling him back into the bed so that he was lying down with you, wanting to try and keep him comfortable. Running your thumb under his eyes, you wiped away his tears.

"I don't have to, but I want to. When we started dating, I knew that I was signing up for all the bad along with all of the good and I wouldn't have it any other way," you assured him. "I am always here to help you."

"I don't deserve you."

You pressed your lips to his cheek. "You deserve better."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.