Steve Rogers- Four Million (a)

"Almost four billion people." Steve held his head in his hands, "And that's just here on Earth." He walked up and down the now desolate office, brushing his hands against the wall and occasionally looking back at his torn suit and cracked Wakandan shields.

"We did everything we could Steve."

"No... We weren't good enough; I wasn't good enough." He slumped himself into a chair, his gaze still turned to the discarded armaments.

"What else could we have done? We had the best people from all over the galaxy... people from places we didn't even know existed. It isn't our fault." He ran his hands through his unwashed hair.

"What if we had Scott? What if we had Clint?"

"Come on man, this isn't the time for what ifs. We need to look forward. See what we can do from here."

"No Y/N! We could have won."

"We could have done a lot of things Steve, none of it matters now."

"There has to be a way to stop him."

"Well... we move on." Steve stood up; a smile that stemmed from such a relentless barrage of extreme emotions ran across his face.

"Move on?" All you could do was nod and try to calm him down. "We just accept the fact that half of all of the brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers are now dust in the wind."

"What else can we do?"

"What did we do when Loki tried to take over New York? Did we kneel and let him run rampant through the streets?" You tried to tell him how this was a different story, but he wasn't having that as an acceptable response. "No. We stopped him, just like were going to stop Thanos. Letting your enemies run all over you isn't the American way and it definitely isn't the Steve Rogers way."

"So, what do we do Cap? Grab the nearest spaceship and stop him on the way to his next planet? Because there sure as hell isn't a way to undo what's happened here."

"Do you even know who you've lost yet? Have you called up your nieces? Nephews? Or did you just give your mom and pa a call and leave it at that?"

"Come on Cap you don't know what you're saying."

"That special someone you had a crush on in school? Gone. The neighbour that you saw once in a blue moon. Gone. I don't know if you're quite realising what's happened here of if you think it's just a little blip like we've had so many times before. Get your head out of your ass and start thinking about people other than yourself.

~*~

Written by Aaron.