Peggy Carter- Proposal (c)

As normal Peggy was home late from work, having been kept behind at the office to finish up some work. You had expected as much knowing how important her work was to her so when you had been preparing dinner, you made sure it would be plated up and still warm for when she was likely to be home rather than when she would return if she left at the end of her shift.

You made dinner every night for the two of you but this time it was different. You had made up your quaint little dining table with the best crockery and tablecloth you owned along with lighting a candle in the centre, having used a glass to contain it. Using one of your mother's old recipe books, you tried to make something that seemed fancy and as far as you knew it had turned out alright but hopefully Peggy would enjoy it too.

"What is all of this for?" She asked, discarding her work bag by the front door as she entered your home.

"Can I not do something nice for my girlfriend?" You asked, feigning offence.

Even if it was illegal for two women to be together, the two of you were happy and in love, the law couldn't control your heart. You weren't happy about not being able to be honest about your love for Peggy but if the only way for you to be together was in secret, then you would have to live with that.

She held her hands up innocently, taking a seat where you directed her. You took a deep breath, knowing that if you were going to ask her a question, now was a good a time as any.

"I need to ask you something before my terrible cooking possibly changes your answer," you said softly.

"What?" She asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"I love you with all of my heart Peggy and I can't imagine a future without you. I wouldn't want to imagine a life where you weren't by my side. I know that we can't have a legal marriage and it will pretty much just be between us, but so is everything between us. So, would you Margaret Carter do me the honour and be my wife?" You smiled warmly, holding out a ring that you had been saving up to buy her.

She gave you an equally cheesy smile, leaning in to kiss you firmly. "I would be honoured."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.