Loki Laufeyson- Cards (a)

The air stank with a deep uncertainty, it had long been long since leaving the rainbow bridge and watching Asgard being engulfed in a deep, infernal flame and you knew it would be a path of many, many years before some people even started to recover. Mothers and fathers held their children tighter than ever, and those that couldn't hold their loved ones close mourned them deeply. Thor had told you of Loki's attempted betrayal back on Sakaar, and even though he had done more than his fair share in what was hopefully the defeat of Hela, he should be watched very closely.

You knew that at the least he probably suspected you of keeping an eye on him, he was the god of mischief after all, so you weren't sure if his actions were influenced by your actions or whether he had actually changed and began to care for the people around him. You had followed him from room to room, checking up on people and making sure they were getting whatever aid was needed, of course the cries of children bounced around the populous but most were muffled as their families held them closely, but there was one distinct cry, not subdued by the love of another that rang from the middle of the herd.

"What is wrong?" Loki crouched beside and asked the blonde-haired child as you watched from above. Obviously, the child who could not have been older than four did not answer, as distressed children tend not to do but Loki sat beside him and held him until he began to calm down. "Where are your parents?" The boy wiped the abundance of tears from his eyes and pointed out into the vast emptiness of space. "Did they not make it on the ship?" Surprisingly calmly the child shook his head and asked for his name, which he did not receive. "Hey... check this out." From the empty air that sat between Loki and the child, Loki pulled a deck of cards. The usual four houses common on Earth had been replaced with simply colourful symbol. Loki twirled his fingers and the cards began to dance around his hands, the child's eyes lit up as they tried to keep track of the dancing projections.

"You try." Loki smiled as he sat the cards into a smile pile on the floor. The child stared at Loki accusingly but after some small encouragement he rose his hands and the cards rose with them. "See!" Troubles and worries melted away from the child, even if only temporary but it was all that anybody could ask for. "You're doing that." Loki encouraged the boy to make the cards move more and more and they danced around almost as Loki had made them, obviously it was Loki moving the cards but even the god of mischief was not egotistical enough to take this away from him.

~*~

Written by Aaron.