Carol Danvers- Birthday (c)

"Happy birthday to me," you sighed, letting the escaping air blow out the single candle the stood not-so proud on your cupcake.

You had hoped to spend your birthday with your girlfriend but when she was in charge of protecting the universe from more evil than you could fathom, you couldn't exactly be mad that she wasn't there. You tried to help her as an agent of SHIELD, helping to protect Earth from evil, but at least that meant at most you were only a country away from home not a galaxy. She loved her job, she loved being the good in a universe that felt as though the evil was taking over. Carol needed to be everywhere at once and sadly that meant celebrating your birthday wasn't as important as saving a planet from self-destruction.

Seen as she was the love of your life and you spent most of your energy keeping her close when she was around and then going to work, you had no one to celebrate your birthday with. She had promised to try and be home for your special day, but you knew that it wouldn't be her fault if something important had come up meaning she needed to protect someone in need.

As you plucked the candle out of the icing, you heard a loud thud in the garden. Frankly it could have been anything, with the knowledge of not being alone in the universe, it meant you knew you couldn't really expect anything anymore. You peered out of the window to see if it was danger or something non-important, but you couldn't have imagined something so perfect as Carol being there.

You rushed out to her, flinging your arms around her, just glad to have her back. She expected such a reaction, knowing you always pulled her into a close hug when she returned even if it was just to the shops. She hugged you in return, letting you enjoy the moment before she could kiss your lips.

"I didn't think you would make it," you whispered, trying to contain the amount of joy you felt having the love of your life back with you.

"I'd never miss your birthday," she smiled. "I was just a few light years away and needed to get back."

"Even if I just get you here for a minute, it is the best minute I could have asked for."

Carol let out a laugh, but it soon silenced, her expression becoming sad.

"I wish I could be here more. You deserve someone who can give you the world," she said softly.

You shook your head. "Don't be an idiot Carol. You give me the world everyday in protecting it. I wish you were around more, but I am just happy you are able to help people and I know how much that means to you."

"I just feel bad, leaving you here on your own," she sighed.

"I know you will always return to me," you smiled. "You will always come back. You promised me that when you first had to go and save the universe."

"And I will never break that promise."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request,