Bucky Barnes- Friends (c)

As the winter soldier, Bucky had done many evil and terrible things, so many things that were unforgiveable, but it wasn't as to put blame on him. Everyone blamed the people who turned him into a weapon, forcing him to lose control of himself, to completely lose himself. Now that he was back to himself, he had to learn about everything that he was forced to do and even though none of you blamed him, he blamed himself.

Seen as he blamed himself for everything that had happened, he pushed himself away from everyone, including Steve. You did your best to support him and try to make him feel welcomed, but he preferred to take a step back and observe rather than be apart of anything, regardless of how simple the occurrence. He seemed scared that he would screw up any socialisation, as though he was still the monster that he had been forced to become.

The team were going out for a drink, so you asked him if he wanted to join you but of course he said no and that maybe he would next time, but you doubted it. You felt bad for him and he didn't deserve to be isolated, especially not because of himself fearing the outcome of talking to others.

Rather than joining the rest of the team, you decided to spend time with Bucky instead. You didn't know how much he would appreciate it but due to how much he focused on others communicated, you assumed that he actually wanted to take part too. You made your way to the kitchen and grabbed a pint of ice cream and two spoons, taking them to the lounge where Bucky had been. Keeping your hands behind your back, you cleared your throat, to get his attention.

"I thought you were going out," he said quietly.

You shrugged your shoulders. "I didn't feel like it. By any chance, do you like ice cream?"

He seemed confused but nodded his head. "Yeah."

Pulling out the ice cream from behind you, you gave him a big grin, making your way over to sit next to him on the sofa, making him freeze from nerves. You handed him a spoon and opened the lid, discarding it as you knew you wouldn't need it again.

"This was always the way I preferred to spend my Saturday nights with my friends," you smiled, taking a mouthful of ice cream.

"We're friends?" He whispered.

"If you want to be," you said. "I consider you one of my friends."

For the first time since he had joined the team, you saw a smile on his face.

"I'd like that."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by