Steve Rogers- Gift (c)

With the war effort at it's high, you and Steve were just glad to get time together for Christmas so had made an agreement to not exchange presents. Money was pretty tight, him spending most of his time away from home rallying the troops as Captain America, whilst you worked as a nurse, neither professions being in much income, not that much brought in a lot of money at the moment. You both spent most of your time away from your quaint home, doing your own bit for the war, but you were both lucky enough to have a chance to return home for a couple of days, close enough to Christmas for you both to celebrate.

You made a festive meal, the best you could do with what you could get at the local store, limited on its supply and what you were rationed, but regardless, it was still somewhat resembling a traditional Christmas dinner even if it was a little sad looking. The meal didn't matter though, just getting a couple of days to see Steve was what mattered to you as you didn't know if you would both return home ever again with the growing dangers of war.

Checking your pocket watch, you waited anxiously for the time to come around. You had been checking it regularly and gained the attention of your partner.

"Are you waiting for something?" He questioned, not knowing why you had become so fascinated by the time.

You offered him an innocent smile. "I have arranged a present for you and it is meant to be here before dinner is served but it seems to be running late as I am about to dish up."

Steve narrowed his eyes at you. "I thought we weren't doing gifts."

Although you agreed to not buy anything for each other, your gift didn't require money, just a lot of time and effort to arrange. It may have been a sly move to sort out a gift for him even though you knew he wouldn't have gotten you anything, but you didn't mind, you just wanted to see Steve happy.

Luckily before he could tell you off, someone knocked on the door, making you smile at him, knowing that once he saw what was behind the door, he wouldn't be upset or mad with you.

"You better get the door," you grinned.

Reluctantly he made his way over to the front door and opened it. You struggled to not jump up and down when you saw Steve pause, seeing what you had arranged.

"Bucky?" Steve whispered, not believing who he saw.

"Merry Christmas Steve," he smiled.

You had spent a long time doing everything in your power to get Bucky to come home for a couple of days. It took a lot of work and pulling many favours from people, but you finally got him to come home, knowing that no Christmas would be worth while for Steve without his best friend there.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.