Darcy Lewis- Company (a)

"This is so boring." Darcy pressed her head firmly against the seat as the two of you stared blankly into the empty deserts of New Mexico. "Couldn't they have handled this themselves?" You leant back and reached your hand into the cooler, hoping that something new would be in there from the last time you checked all those thirty seconds ago.

"I'm Jane's assistant, and you offered to come keep me company whilst she did... whatever she's doing." Darcy asked for you to pass her whatever from the box of refreshments and twiddled the ridged knobs of the vans radio. "There aren't even any good channels out here."

"Can you turn that off please?" Jane snapped over the whirring, strained voices of Darcy running up and down the radio frequencies. "We're here to work. Darcy, you're here to assist me and y/n... thanks for bringing the snacks, we really let the ball drop on that one."

"Yeah, you did." Darcy eagerly accepted a cool can of Pepsi and a chilled pimento cheese sandwich. "There's got to be something we can do whilst those eggheads tippy tap on their little laptops and plot their graphs. Look at them." She rolled her head over the chair to make sure she wasn't missing anything exciting as they yammered on about constants, astronomical data and other things you had absolutely no idea about. "Head's stuck in their screens. They've got no idea about the absolute nothingness that awaits them just on the other side of this dirty windscreen."

"Well it isn't quite nothing I think that's a cactus, I'm not an expert though."

"Wow. You know it's desperate when the only thing to do is point out cacti in the desert. It's like a bad parody of every I spy game." Her hand crept forward towards the radio but a sharp 'no' produced an eye roll and a sigh. "It's not even like I have any signal. I wish they'd just find what they're looking for so we can go home. I can't believe I had to chip in for gas to come here."

You checked your phone and Darcy was right, not even a single bar, luckily for you years of preparation had been done for this exact moment.

"I have some cat videos on my phone."

"What?"

"Cats... I have some cat videos on my phone if you want to watch them with me." She peered over at your phone, then back out into the abyss.

"Hmm, sure. Not much else going on around here."

~*~

Written by Aaron.