Ororo Munroe- Lesson (a)

Most days at the school for the gifted consisted of the same thing, there was your normal schoolwork... math, history whatever, but of course there was a fair share of getting to grips with your mutant powers. Today was a power kind of day and with every individual having a unique skill it was a bit of a mismatch trying to assign students to tutors but you had found yourself coupled with a handful of students under the careful gaze of Storm and students with skills of the more elemental variety.

Plates stood propped up against stands in the field in front of you, Storm urged each student to step up and show her what they could do as she hovered the plates in midair, the people in front of you threw balls of fire, shards of ice or bolts of thunderous lightning, shattering the plates in an instant much to Storm's approval. It was almost your turn to put yourself on display, but you knew that your mutations were no where near as powerful as theirs.

Storm gestured you forward, hesitation was not something that was looked at too kindly by the stern but fair teacher, so you stepped forward and felt the judgemental gaze of your peers burning into your back.

"Show us what you can do." She lifted the plate and gently swayed it from side to side. You pulled your hands in towards your chest before pushing them outwards with all of your strength, a beam of light shot from your palms and hit the plate, doing nothing but casting a refraction back at you.

Light snickering started echo from around you, Storm quickly hushed them and gently dropped the plate back onto its stand.

"Come on, I've seen people with powers like yours. You're capable than a hell of a lot more than that. Focus it, you got this." With a flick of her wrist the plate was back in the air and the quiet laughing and jokes continued, you held your hand out again and the same pathetic ray bounced off the target.

"You can use this. Get angry with it, it's only a plate but come on, use your imagination."

You thought back to every bully, every time somebody had ever pissed you off and everybody that told you how much you didn't deserve the life that you had. You felt the energy flowing through you more intense than ever before, you slowly opened your eyes but your power had not manifested as you had expected and Storm did not look happy.

~*~

Written by Aaron.