Chapter 314

Upon witnessing the first strike of lightning, the Duke of Paerun got up from his desk and headed over to his office window. A strange foreboding sensation had been nagging at him ever since the conference the night prior. However, his son kept reassuring him that nothing bad was going to happen to them. His gaze moved between the pillar of fire which now stood where the bolt had struck over to the palace where he knew his firstborn was currently training. Within minutes, the gates had opened and a dozen armed knights rode out on their horses in order to confirm this wasn't an attack. Or possibly a response to their earlier threat of war.

Weathered emerald eyes could see the familiar snowy locks blowing behind the leader of the group. There was no doubt in his mind that his heir would handle things. That was why he returned to his seat in order to continue his work. Unfortunately, the uncomfortable nagging he'd been ignoring only seemed to be growing stronger and more imposing on his focus. Why did his instincts tell him that they were in danger? His question was answered when a blinding flash lit up his office window which was followed by an explosion from outside. Every single window along the very front of the residence shattered in response to the sudden surge of electrifying energy. Even the ground had shook from the powerful striking force.

Hastily, those inside the main building raced to see what had happened. Although what they discovered both terrified and baffled them. Charred stone and dirt filled a newly formed crater in the ground where the holy looking rose gold lightning had struck. Each of the grand statues of wyverns had been completely destroyed from the impact. Of their remnants, none of them were bigger than the palm of his hand. In fact, the pieces were so brittle now that they turned to dust when they were picked up. Pupils shook when they saw this.

Stoically, the nobleman assessed the distance from the strike compared to the actual building which he had just been in. Would a natural bolt of lightning strike a statue when there was a taller structure within the same vicinity? Even the gate would be closer, yet it had not been hit at all. It was almost as if this was an attack focused on the statues. Except there was no value or gain in someone with such a grand ability lashing out against stone decorations. There had to be another reason behind this. Flickering flames draw his attention back to the pillar of fire.

"...think Guardian Knight-nim was right?"

A whisper from one of the estate's guards caught his attention.

"Is it possible that the Gods are sending a message to us?"

His hands became fists at his sides when he heard his subordinate's words. What sort of God would destroy simple stone statues? Even the pillar seemed more along the lines of what the Empire had done in the Jungle and around the maple Castle. Have they been betrayed? Or was this a warning not to start the wars prematurely?

While he was distracted, a faint white fog started to creep across the ground at their feet. Only a few servants even noticed it and started to search their surroundings wondering what was going on with their weather today. First sun. Then a thunderstorm which caused a fire. Now this eerie fog? Should they expect hail next?

"Intruder-"

Although the warning had been cut short, most people had heard it and became alert. Horror and regret filled them as the unusual fog turned bright red like blood. Immediately, the humans started to fall to the ground unconscious. Aged green irises shook as their owner watched his subordinates succumb to the poisons within the fog. Had he ignored his instincts again, then he too would have fallen victim to this trap. Just who could be behind such a devious attack?

With a handkerchief covering his nose and mouth, the Duke hastily surveyed his obscured surroundings. His free hand gripped onto the hilt of his sword in preparation for further assault.