pretend

Summary: Esther thinks it will be good publicity for Pentatonix if Scott and Mitch "pretend" to date each other. Scott agrees but almost instantly regrets it when real feelings get in the way.

A/N: This is 3.5k+ words, oops? lol

****

"You want us to do what?" Scott asks as his eyes widen. He's sitting next to Mitch on their couch while Esther sits in the chair. They've been chatting for a little bit about the future of Pentatonix.

"Come on, if you think about it... it's a really good plan," Esther says.

"Esther, haven't you thought about how this could affect our friendship?" Mitch asks.

"Yeah, I love Mitch but he's a sister to me, and it would be weird to date my sister," Scott says.

"You're not actually dating him. You're just pretending," Esther tells him.

"We don't need any press though. We're doing fine on our own right now... I mean, we just won a third fucking Grammy," Scott says. "I don't know if I feel comfortable doing this."

"Yeah, and I just started seeing someone who I really like," Mitch quickly adds.

"What? Since when?" Scott asks, instantly looking over at Mitch.

"Oh, did I not mention that to you?" Mitch asks innocently.

"Wait a minute. You're seeing someone and you didn't tell me? Who is he?" Scott asks.

"His name is Elliot and he's really nice. I didn't tell you because you're so fucking protective and you hate every boy I date," Mitch rolls his eyes. "It's only been a couple weeks but I really do like him."

Scott sighs. "I'm just trying to protect you," he says.

"That's sweet, but mommy can take care of herself," Mitch reaches over and kisses Scott's cheek.

"See! That's exactly what I'm talking about!" Esther exclaims as she watches them.

"Es, we need to think about this. We know this will be good press for the band but we don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it later. At least give us a few days to think about it?" Scott asks.

"Fine," Esther sighs in defeat, and then stands up. "I should get going."

"Thanks for coming over," Mitch says as he stands up and gives Esther a hug.

"Yeah," Scott says as he does the same. "We promise we'll think about it."

Scott stays in the living room as Mitch walks out with Esther. Scott looks around and takes a deep breath.

Would Scott want to be in a pretend relationship with Mitch? They've been best friends since they were little kids. He wouldn't want to ruin what they have. He loves and cares about Mitch too much for that.

But, Scott has always had a crush on his best friend. But then, Mitch has a boyfriend?

Scott doesn't know what to do, and he doesn't want to make the wrong decision.

**

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," Mitch mumbles as he sits beside Scott in the Superfruit room.

"We don't have to do this if you really don't want to. I mean, it's understandable if you don't want to. You have a boyfriend and everything," Scott says, frowning slightly as he looks over at Mitch.

"It's not that. It's just... it seems silly that we're doing this for press and publicity," Mitch says.

"I know but Esther really thinks this is a good idea. I mean... she's kind of right. We promote the hell out of scomiche just to tease the fans and they go nuts over it. Imagine how they would react if we actually went and said that we were dating," Scott says before letting out a sigh. "I just feel bad for lying."