the new kid

Summary: AU // Mitch is the new kid in school who's lucky enough to make friends with a group of nice people. Scott is a newly single father and is the last to meet Mitch.

****

"Scott should be coming back today," Kirstie says excitedly as she walks up to her group of friends.

"Oh yeah," Kevin smiles. "Finally. It hasn't been quite the same without him around to annoy us."

"Too bad the idiot had to be an idiot and get a girl pregnant," Avi scoffs and shakes his head. "Idiot."

"Avriel," Kevin warns as he punches Avi on the shoulder. "Quit calling Scott names when he's not here to defend himself. Besides, it's not nice to call someone an idiot."

"Um, who is Scott?" Mitch, the newest of the group, speaks up shyly.

Mitch is the new kid of the school. He's just moved to Martin High School a couple weeks ago now. Luckily for Mitch, despite his shyness, he quickly finds a group of friends who seem to genuinely like him. They actually text him and call him, and ask him if he wants to hang out with them.

The group consists of Avi, Kevin, Kirstin, Matt and supposedly someone named Scott. They're a very close group so the fact that they added Mitch right away really means a lot to him. He's trying his best not to mess up what he has. If he didn't have these guys, he'd have been bullied. Mitch hates bullies.

"Oh, you haven't gotten to meet Scott yet," Kirstie smiles. "He's the other member of our group. He's not here right now because he just recently had a baby with some rando he met at a party," Kirstie explains.

"Sucks for him that the chick doesn't want the kid," Avi adds.

"At least he's being responsible and caring for the baby since his mother is useless," Kirstie scoffs.

"Have you met the baby yet? Scott's been sending me pictures and he's so cute," Kevin grins.

"Only once. Scott's super busy now and I don't want to bother him. He is really cute though," Kirstie says. "I'm just excited about Scott coming back to school, and he'll finally get to meet Mitchy."

"Talking about me?"

Kirstie looks over and gasps when she sees a blonde boy walking up to them. "Scotty!" She runs over and hugs him tightly. "You're finally back! We've missed you."

"Welcome back to Hell," Avi jokes as he hugs Scott. "Things have been quiet without you here."

"Thanks," Scott chuckles and then he hugs Kevin lastly. He glances over and blinks a few times at Mitch. "Who's this?" He asks, pointing at Mitch and looking at the others.

"Mitch," Kirstie says first. "He's the new kid in school. I hope you don't mind if he joins our group."

Scott looks over at Mitch again. "Guess you must be okay if these guys seem to like you," he says. "Hey, I'm Scott." He reaches his hand out for Mitch to shake.

Mitch hesitates before reaching out and shaking Scott's hand. "H-Hi," he mumbles.

"Ah, you're a shy one. Got it. Where's Matt?" Scott asks, looking over at the others.

"Sick. He won't be coming to school today," Kevin says. "Sent me a text before I left for school."

"Damn. Get your boyfriend in check, Kev," Scott smirks. "He's gonna get kicked off the team if he don't stop getting sick all the time. Coach is already furious with him."

Kevin blushes at the mention of 'boyfriend', earning an eyebrow raise from Mitch.

"It's not his fault he keeps getting sick," Kevin argues. "Come on, we gotta go. Can't be late."